News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: no warm air? no heat  (Read 8147 times)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
no warm air? no heat
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
Ok  so i have myself an 84 amc eagle wagon. I cant seem to get warm from the vents? and since its about to get real cold here in ohio id rather get this fixed than ride around with the windows down...  heres what i got

all switch on interior panel are in tact and work.
blower motor is good ( i get plenty of air movement from vents)

Im fairly new to how eagles work haha, but im guessing there is some kind of vaccum controled door that needs to open?? or perhaps thermostat?  or heater core? but last time i had a heater core go out on a car it pooped green fluid everywhere.. any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful :) thanks!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: no warm air? no heat
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
There is a valve under the hood on the right side where the heater line goes into the firewall. It is vacuum actuated. See if that is moving when you turn the heat on.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
sometimes the core needs to have its air bleed out. maybe flush the core. or check that the thermostat is working with correctly heated water in a kettle (rambler mentality) also on the thermostat it needs to have the weep hole at 12 o clock. than check the blend door under the passenger footwell to insure itvis attached.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »
If you don't have a 195 thermostat in there, you'll probably get little heat. They're pretty cold-blooded engines all things considered. The valve eaglefreek talked about freezes up all the time. Sometimes you can get them moving with some penetrating oil and some work.

You can bypass it for the winter, Chrysler did it on later Cherokees. The metal valves usually run you about $60-$100, and the plastic Cherokee valves which may require a couple of reducer pieces to fit in since they're all 5/8 fittings are usually under $20. I've been leaning toward those, they may leak after 5 years or so, but they're cheap and available at any parts store.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
yeah my motor runs cool to begin with... according to my scetchy temp gauge its under 200f... Anyways just put a new thermostat in and no change. i have coolant in both hoses going to the heater core..

i am having trouble finding the valve you guys are talking about? 

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
i do not agree with benm. that car should bake you out of there.  :censored:all of of mine do
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:01:23 AM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Looks like the pic below. The heater lines come from the engine to the valve and then to the heater core.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:03 AM »
If yours does not have air conditioning, you will not have that valve as it was only equipped on A/C models.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »
Im fairly new to how eagles work
Then there's a good chance you're in for a little of it regardless of being the lazy or analytical type. Thankfully most of the problems with these old cars are vacuum and linkage related and very easy to fix or replace.

Before you spend more money, check the vent door cable going to the blend air-door crank. If they're not connected, it won't do much good to fix anything else. If that's good, flush the core. I'm assuming you put in a new 195º thermostat. It needs it. It just does. If you still can't get it to heat up, you need a shiny new one of these:

The HVAC heater control valve is probably the most expensive part in the heating system and they're so old that they usually run for about $75. Mine is all rusted and I barely get heat out of my heater anymore so I'm probably going to take care of this before the next snow storm.

Disclaimer! ('w')
If yours does not have air conditioning, you will not have that valve as it was only equipped on A/C models.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
i do not have that valve.. since my car never had a/c i doubt i ever had that valve but non the less both heater hoses go straight to the core. again all my vent cables are hooked up and work.  Is it possible that the core is clagged with crap and the coolant isnt actually flowing through it?

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Only way to find out is to flush the core. Your engine works, right? It gets warm, right? The coolant should be going through the heater core and you should be able to get heat from this system. I know the lack of that valve and A/C seems like it would complicate this but it's actually very simple. All 3 of my grandfather's old Fords show a very similar design. The fact that getting heat is a problem kinda worries me.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
Do both hoses going to the core get warm hot after the car warms up?
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:47 AM »
careful not to push the hose on tootight as 30+ lbs is more than the core was designed for and it'll look like an exploded accordion!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
Use to work with a guy who's old Ford pickup would stop putting out heat every so often.  When it did he would switch the hoses around and have heat again.  It's the cheap/easy/lazy mans way to go.

Might sound silly but you might try switching the hoses around on the heater core (or engine side).  Keep in mind that they might be different sizes, so you will have to contend with that.  This will amount to flushing the core to some extent and is a cheap/quick thing to try.

careful not to push the hose on tootight as 30+ lbs is more than the core was designed for and it'll look like an exploded accordion!

Yes, don't get aggressive with it.

More food for thought: as a young kid I didn't have much money.  Had a friend flush my heater core as it wasn't given up any heat.  It was flushing well but still no heat, so I gave him the green light to keep cranking up the pressure.  Thinking was that a no heat situation didn't do me any good no matter how mush flow the flush machine showed.  After we blew the core I went in to finally replace it only to find the heater box filled with a mouse nest.  No air could move across the core.  Lesson learned to check everything before blowing up a perfectly good part.

From a guy that spent a cold winter with no heat in the car as a young man, best of luck with it.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
I had no heat in my wagon until yesterday when I happened to look down to the left of my steering column and see there was an air vent button pulled out (I have AC and the button is hidden behind the turn signal stalk when sitting in the driver's seat) Not super warm (I need to change the thermostat), but not a blast of icicles up my left leg anymore!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
If you have to flush your heater core, you might as well go and do the block and radiator as well. You don't want it clogging back up later with TheWraith's buddy's Ford. You can then make sure you have a 50/50 mix for the winter. Old coolant can contribute to clogging anyway, especially if there is a mix of types.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk