News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sighting of my own eagle  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Sighting of my own eagle
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »
I had my eagle in a show 'n Shine last summer in Airdrie, Alberta - Against my better judgement, but it actually got alot of attention.

Now, someone posted a pic of it on Flickr, and questioned whether it should have been there. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/6190114959/

Some people posted in Defence (saying nothing wrong with it being there). 

One person actually suggested the Eagle (or the hornet) is based on the Rambler American (ending in '69). 

I don't see that as possible.  The hornet is based on a concept car.  It was a new idea (some say it's also based on the Hudson Hornet, but it's not either (ended in 1957)

the only thing the same on a American and a Hornet is probably the drivetrain.   

What you all think?

Prafeston

Re: Sighting of my own eagle
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
Ha! That's funny you found your own Eagle on someones Flickr. It seemed most of the comments were in support of you having the car at the show.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
The hornets front suspension came from the american. A common upgrade for the guys with old ramblers is to grab the front brakes from a hornet/gremlin/spirit/concord it's basically a bolt on swap. Comparing an eagle to an american (a buddy of mine has a few, lol), one can tell they are a direct  relative of one another with a few changes to the chassis here and there to fit the times, and of course different sheetmetal.
Nothing wrong with your car at a  show, I've seen far worse attend shows over the years.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
i see nothing wrong with your eagle, just need some body work but it takes time i suposse you are going little by little,don´t care what other people say.btw ramblers and eagles are two different platforms.
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
The only thing I see wrong is you don't have extensions on that bumper. Just pick a Concord bumper and be done with it. I had to put my grill back on last night just because I was so sick of looking at a torn up front end. :/
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
I had both my 83 and 88 in the annual NAPA show in Little Rock this past weekend.  You can see pictures in Classifieds.  I have had both in several shows and have never had an adverse reaction.  If someone doesn't like it they can - 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »
X 2 on what Jim said (or didn't say).
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
They just dont know!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the support.  That's awesome!

The hornets front suspension came from the american. A common upgrade for the guys with old ramblers is to grab the front brakes from a hornet/gremlin/spirit/concord it's basically a bolt on swap. Comparing an eagle to an american (a buddy of mine has a few, lol), one can tell they are a direct  relative of one another with a few changes to the chassis here and there to fit the times, and of course different sheetmetal.
Nothing wrong with your car at a  show, I've seen far worse attend shows over the years.

that's a good point, and I'd agree with Related, but not based on the American.

For example, My '99 grand am uses some the same suspension parts as the cavalier.  There are many parts swap I could state here just for my grand am alone (Olds Alero, malibu, Grand Prix, cutlass, Achieva, Skylark, etc), but my grand am isn't based on any of these.  it's only related.

Now, to say the Eagle is based on the Hornet (sportabout) platform I would agree with that.  

You guys think it's related or based on the American?  (I should put up a vote...)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:00:25 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »
For example, My '99 grand am uses some the same suspension parts as the cavalier.  There are many parts swap I could state here just for my grand am alone (Olds Alero, malibu, Grand Prix, cutlass, Achieva, Skylark, etc), but my grand am isn't based on any of these.  it's only related.

Well.......Your grand am, is based on the same platform as an alero, acheiva, cutlass (97-99), skylark, and malibu, just different sheetmetal. They are all "N" Bodies, the gp and impala though similar are W's. Just like my malibu is the same thing as a monte carlo, 442/cutlass, grand national/regal, century, bonneville/grand am/lemans (even shares some sheet metal), grand prix,  they are A/G body cars, they're not called Generic Motors for nothing,  :rotfl: .
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
The hornets front suspension came from the american.

Didn't AMC introduce ball joint suspensions in 1970?  Therefore, a 1969 American would have trunnions and a 1970 Hornet would use ball joints.

The Hornet was the replacement for the aging American and the carryover (other than drivetrains) was pretty minimal.  To say that the Eagle is based on the American is really stretching it.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
I want to say, my friends' 66 has ball joints, while his 64 and 65 have trunions, though I could be wrong, I'll have to ask him next time we meet up. I never said based, but definitely related, when we had our cars (er well the gf's car, lol) side by side, it was intriguing how much carried over from one era to the next.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:18 AM »
Who cares what people at shows think.  If they are negative, forget them.  There is one show on Tuesdays a mile away that Sam and I frequent.  My Eagle isn't allowed because it is too new.  I take it to the Saturday morning Cars and Coffee as much as I can (have not been this year yet), and it gets pretty mixed reviews.  The feedback I get is positive, but I can tell the hardcore guys avoid it like the plague.  Screw them, at least I drive my Eagle on a regular basis.  Yes it is a work in progress, like your Eagle, but that is half the fun of owning a project car.  More and more I am starting to not understand the point in having a car that sits and doesn't get driven.  Granted I do not drive my Eagle as much as I would like, but my wife won't let me put the car seat in it unless we have no other choice. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
I have found these cars have generated a lot more interest in rescent years. I guess its a generation thing. Most folks that grew up around them are more less like "hey I haven't seen one of those in a long time." It's the the early 20 something crowd that I get the most attention from. Depending on the region many of them have never seen one before, atleast that they can remember. Many of them are genuinely blown away to discover there was an American made cross over built nearly15 years before the outback was dreamed up.....when I got my first eagle in the mid  90's the general concensus was pretty negative, these days however their rarity and historical significance is starting to get noticed.

As for the people that said that car shouldn't have been there.....they must not have gotten the memo that car shows are about displaying cars of interest for auto enthusiasts to enjoy and share their Passions for their cars with one another. It's not just about mustangs and camaros. ill he honest I'm pretty burned out on the whole vintage muscle car and street rod thing....Id rather look at unrestored survivors any day of the week.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk