News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windshield washer pump frustration  (Read 4874 times)

rohnk

Windshield washer pump frustration
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
FYI to anyone interested.

My washer pump is not working so I tried to clean it up and when I took it apart it was full of rust. After cleaning it still does not work so I am having to get a new one. Here is where the trouble comes in.

A trip to AutoZone today and the one they had in the system as an OE replacement does not fit. The terminal and port for the hose comes off the bottom of the motor instead of the side. When installed, the fluid bottle sits up too far because of the extra room the wire connector takes up. Even though the motor fits the tank and plugs in directly, the tank will not be able to sit all the way down in the original location.

O'Reilly's, Napa and AutoZone all show the same parts from ACDelco and some other company. Their pumps do not fit the stock location though. In order to get the bottle to fit you need a motor/pump assembly that has the wires coming off the side of the pump. The ONLY one I can find that will fit the OE application is from Rock Auto or Advance Auto and is made by ANCO.

Anyway, after this bit of frustration, I thought I would share my experience and the info I found in cse anyone else needs to get a washer pump anytime soon. They are only $16 so it doesn't break the bank and are a snap to install.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Windshield washer pump frustration
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:17:40 AM »
I did mine last year, and I got the original replacement ones.  Same.

Something I'm trying to do, is see if I can find a end nozzle that I can rig up.  I hate the 'bent metal' hose thing. 

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:57:10 AM »
I ran into only one acceptable solution for this and that involved pulling the bottle apparatus from a Concord or Eagle in the junkyard. I'm not sure if the Hornet is like ours where we have front AND back wiper fluid connections but I'll find out next week.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

rohnk

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
Advance Auto part number 174090 listed for 16.99 - I bought one this morning for 18.01 with tax. Brought in the old one to match on the screen. I'll pick it up this afternoon and verify again that it matches the OE. This one is made by ACI.

Rock Auto part number 6401 and is made by ANCO. Listed for $14.58+ tax and shipping.

The ACDelco and Trico will fit and plug in directly, but will not allow placement of the resivoir in stock location.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
I got mine from an old Jeep dealer. Mine is a Crown Automotive brand which only makes Jeep parts, any Jeep dealer should be able to order one.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
I had the same issue of the washer pump not fitting.

Since I am running an open element filter, I decided to relocate my washer fluid bottle to where the snorkel would attach the the front of the car.  Works great mounting it there.

rohnk

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
I thought of that too, but I painted the AMC logo on it white so it stands out a bit. Moving it would hide that detail. I'll probably paint it with red and blue at some point.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
I ran into this problem when I replaced mine. Easy, BS solution? Rotate your tank, set it down, and voila! it should stay put. This is ABSOLUTLY NOT correct    :rotfl:    , but my frustration level at that point prevented me from further trying to do it the right way. You just cannot mount it in.  I do have a bolt wedged holding it in. Best of luck.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk