News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 06:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new carb  (Read 2926 times)

Offline rickcj7

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
new carb
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
Do any of the EMPI or Webber carbs for Jeeps fit the AMC Eagle???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: new carb
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
Anything for an '80 or newer 258 should work. Before that 1 bbl carbs were the norm on Jeeps and the cars got the 2 bbl sooner.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »
Why not just buy a GRONK kit? He packs everything real nice and has great instructions with it. If you get stuck on the install, just hop on here and someone will help.

I plan to tackle a carb conversion myself over the next few days. I bought my GRONK kit last fall and am just getting around to it.

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
+1 on the GRONK kit. Why put a crappy carb on your car?

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
This has me wondering if you can put a 1bbl carb on the 258. Does the 232 manifold swap in?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
Pretty sure older (70's) 258 engines did have one barrel carbs. At least, some did.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
Yup, but they sucked (in a bad way) 2 bbl BBD was actually an improvement and higher power than the 1 bbl!.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk