News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 07:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sporadic Ignition Timing when the Engine's at Temp  (Read 7579 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Sporadic Ignition Timing when the Engine's at Temp
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Could be.  Curious though, how does the EGR dictate backpressure.  I understand the CTO and the ported vacuum.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
Could be.  Curious though, how does the EGR dictate backpressure.  I understand the CTO and the ported vacuum.
Basically, the pintle is hollow and has a hole at the end of it, the exhaust pressure can travel up the hole, when the pressure is great enough, it overcomes a spring, and seals the vacuum chamber, so that vacuum can move the pintle and allow egr flow. Pretty interesting how it works.

It's explained here in the 1982 Jeep TSM, on page 74. I think the same exact thing is written in my 81 TSM, but I don't have it for reference. This is a big file and takes a while to open.
http://oljeep.com/gw/82_tsm/Part%201%20Section%20J.pdf

Here's another site that explains it and can open a lot faster.
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt26.pdf
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:36:17 AM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
Interesting.  Never knew.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline FreedomMachine

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
I added another ground to the ICM and there was no difference.  I replaced the ICM and there was no difference.  I check the ignition and pick-up coil both were nominal :banghead: . The timing is bouncing around after the car warms-up. I can see the vacuum advance isn't doing anything strange. Could the SSI in the distributor be over heating? would that cause misfiring? ???

Has anyone else had this problem before?  :help:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:26:02 PM by FreedomMachine »
1985 AMC Eagle 4.2L I6
1996 Mazda Miata 1.8L I4

RIP - Totaled 2001 Jeep XJ 4.0L I6

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:07 AM »
Maybe try taking the distributor cap off and make sure that the trigger wheel and pickup is still clean/ok. Also, there is 3 wire harness that goes into the base of the distributor, the black wire is a ground for the ignition system, which is connected inside the distributor to the engine for a ground. Its been known to corrode causing misfires, make sure its clean.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk