News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 11:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Power  (Read 8294 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: Loss of Power
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
If you still have a cat, it may be clogged up (mine is starting to stink)
Cat is not an issue. exhaust is so loose that if it was clogged it'd leak from the loose connection from in front.
Noted in other places that I took a Vacuum gauge to the 2100 and tried to adjust it. Says it's running better. and was able to lower the Idle after the change. Still seem to be losing power under load. Going to like at a timing advance issue. Maybe even got a lifter that is not working well on the thinner oil causing problems after it warms up..
But I'm at the point I'm going to put 10w40 in it and look at timing..the Inline filter I put before the pump is full of crud.. But the filter after pump looks good.. May of sucked something in before but not sure..

I'm rambling.. Loss of power started after the oil change to the 5w30.. Change that to heavier oil, even out the adjuster screws on the 2100 and check timing..
Old motor having blow by issues and such maybe I'm trying to rationalize too much..
But all this work has allowed me to see I need to drop the tank and clean it at some point after I look at the frame.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
The oil change shouldn't do that. I'd try bumping timing up a bit first. You realize it needs changing after the MC2100 because the compu carb was controlling timing before.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Not totally confirmed but I did change the oil again yesterday.. from 5w30 to 10w40 and it does seem to be running better...
If this is the case it would seem to be due to improved compression and the oil holding the lifters better.
Waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to take it on the highway and try it..
I say it seems fixed because the vacuum seems to recover now that it didn't before. If my tachometer worked I'd check idle and timing.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk