News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 03:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Power  (Read 8285 times)

Offline AMCNewb

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Loss of Power
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
I bought an 82 Eagle Wagon a month or so ago for $800. It has 65,000 miles on it and has been sitting for the past year at least. It runs great and has plenty of go, that is until it warms up fully. Once it gets warmed up a loud ticking noise starts from the engine and changes speed with the RPM. (Gets faster and louder when revved) Once this happens I have the same amount of power until it shifts around 15 then it feels like it just falls flat on its face. I can give it more gas and it still just creeps along, but once i get about 90% throttle it takes off like it would before the ticking starts.

Any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take it to a shop as I am a broke college kid with a family and I got this as a winter Beater. (The wife just loves it) >:D

Offline AMCNewb

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Loss of Power
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
Oh and I have replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil, and checked most of the vacuum lines.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
man it really sounds like a vaccum leak to me, better check on the intake manifold or carb´s base. it is a common problem on these engines.
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »
Could be a loose manifold too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
Hope I'm not reviving an old thread for the wrong reason but I think my Eagle is doing Tue same thing. Replace oil and used a light oil. 5w30... When the car ran a while it would start acting like it was trying to suck fuel through a straw that was way too small.  Seems related to temperature and didn't start till after oil changed. This has a messed up valve cover that the PO welded on to the head. This causes it to leak oil and I'm think may be what this post has hinted at..
Later all.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:50:19 AM »
15W50 Napa synthetic in mine.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »
Thank you for the replies.makes sense since it didn't start till after the oil change. Saw this thread and it sounded right.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Sometimes there is a flawed oil filter too.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »
Just noting that the car is earning her name.. put treatment in the oil today and drove to work no issue... Not certain if it's a pressure or a temp problem will have to wait till I'm forced to deal with it again.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
Don't see a reason to start a new post for a power issue

Been a while and I've looked at a few things. replaced a collapsed vacuum hose from the PCV valve to the canister.
Fuel lines from firewall to fuel pump to carburetor replaced. In line filter placed before and after pump.
Changed plugs. Compression is about 125 p.s.i. in all cylinders. I have noticed that the transfer case does not disengage. Under load I get a severe drop in vacuum at the gauge this coincides with the loss of power and stutter/stall.  The car will start running really bad, to the point of not going anywhere. Any further thoughts would be great. I do have a fuel pump to replace if I need to.
SpreadEagle
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
125 is low. my .02

Manitowoc WI

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
125 isn't bad for a 30 year old engine, how many miles on it? 150 was factory a long time ago

So if I understand correctly it runs fine then once under load it starts running bad? You said you lose vacuum? Is this according to the gauge inside?

Sounds like a vacuum problem to me, if you lose vacuum it will run terrible, and not pull a feather

Now to figure out where the hole in the system is..... Hmmmm

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »
I'm starting to agree.. My Dad of all things is pretty good with those older cars suggested I connect my vacuum gauge to the Motorcraft 2100 and adjust there and then start looking for problems. Being that my transfer is stuck in 4WD it does make me think I have a leak. I see a lot of things down below with nothing going to them.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
I'm starting to agree.. My Dad of all things is pretty good with those older cars suggested I connect my vacuum gauge to the Motorcraft 2100 and adjust there and then start looking for problems. Being that my transfer is stuck in 4WD it does make me think I have a leak. I see a lot of things down below with nothing going to them.

Best advice I can give anyone with a Eagle is to replace all the rubber lines. Heat and oil do nasty things to them, and vacuum has a lot of jobs to do on these cars, even without the MCU involved.

It wouldn't hurt to run a gauge inside to troubleshoot. You can get the plastic hard line at the parts store and it's much easier to push through firewall grommets.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
If you still have a cat, it may be clogged up (mine is starting to stink)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk