News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 01:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: H.E.I. Conversion simple question  (Read 2806 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
H.E.I. Conversion simple question
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
Hey guys hope this is in the correct spot. The wife's sx-4 actually was converted to H.E.I. before we got it. But I don't think it was a new distributor P/o was a penny pincher. I ordered one new but I have to replace the Chevy 250 gear that is on the dist. I already ordered a new gear for an 85 Jeep 360. I just need to know whether I need to use the two shim washers pictured hear with the gear?  I am trying to get this gear switch done before 2 Pm today, considering its raining right now here in N.Y. and I have use of a shop after 4 pm. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:48:29 AM by 85AmCfreak »
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: H.E.I. Conversion simple question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
the combination of these shims/washers and the ones that are already on the new dizzy will depend on the tolerances between the gear & the distributor.  On a new one I'd suspect that you will not be using all of them, but you should still wind up with 1 between the gear & the housing

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
I would say yes, those washers keep the gear from "walking up" into the housing of the distributor and causing damage.  As doc said may not need both.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
But the shim washer is really particular to the distributor and not the gear correct?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Not really, the shaft size is the same, so either would work, you just need a shim/washer to keep the gear from eating the aluminum housing, the you want enough shim to fill most of the space so that there isn't a lot of up & down play in the shaft otherwise you can get some fluctuation in your timing, though how much is arguable...

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
Ah I see what you are talking about  :banghead: I just took a closer look at the new dist. and I can see the shim now, thanks so much for the info guys. I don't know what I would do without ya guys.  :hello2:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk