News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil suggestion???  (Read 16888 times)

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Coil suggestion???
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »
Anyone got a good alternative Coil for TFI conversion.  I bought a new Pertronix Flame-thrower 3 Ohm coil for this conversion, and was able to get it running, but then as soon as I got it timed & was going to move on to setting the mixture on the 2150 the car died, I was able to get it running again for a very short time, then nothing.  I replaced the IM as well as the distributor, in fairness I'd already replaced the dizzy for other reasons. After MUCH trouble shooting I finally pulled the  new coil and made up a new horseshoe connector with spade connectors on the wires so I could put it back in place and the car started right up, I timed it quickly at about 12-13* based on altitude and then let it warm up to normal ops temp.  Still need to do some work on tuning the carb & check on the powervalve, but at least it runs again. 

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Coil suggestion???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
I recently did the TFI upgrade with the Ford 300 large cap and rotor.

I used Accel's Ford Racing Coil for Duraspark set-ups. It is a high performance direct plug-and-play set-up with the Eagle's stock coil. You can even use the stock Horseshoe type connector. It throws out 45k Volts, and I've gotten noticeable increased power and gas mileage from it. You can get them from Summit Racing or JEGS for a little over $50, good investment in my opinion.

MSD also makes one that will directly hook up with out any wire cutting, adding resistors, etc. It is also for the Ford Duraspark and makes about the same output. 
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »
My Petronix lasted 3 months. My MSD is still going strong 4 years later.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
Eaglefreek,

Which MSD are you using?  I have an old(still in the box though) MSD Blaster II in the garage that was bought for another project that has been stalled for too long(Old Triumph TR7 getting a balanced & blueprinted Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8) the only reason that I didn't use it for the Eagle is the voltage vs. resistance issue.  I'm thinking of just throwing it in running through the resistor wire.  The IM/ICM that I put in while troubleshooting this coil problem is from O'reilly & lifetime warranty, plus I have the one that I pulled out that was obviously not really bad, but the epoxy potting compound was loose, so I went ahead & stripped the case down.  I'm going to make it into one of the "stealth" external HEI control modules.  I'll just test it, then wrap it in bubble pack & stick it in with the spare tire.

Doc

ps I do also have a HyFire 6 CDI module to go with that coil, but would rather keep that for a planned 4.0/4.7-AX15 transplant into an SX4(still looking for the recipient)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Blaster II, but I replaced the Duraspark with a MSD box. I was using the Petronix 3 ohm with the Duraspark and installed the used MSD coil after the Petronix went bad. The MSD came from my 81 Eagle which worked fine for over a year with the stock Duraspark and then I installed it in my 65 IH Metro for a few months. I removed the MSD coil in the Metro when I sold it and had it sitting in the top of my tool box and it has been working fine in my 86 for almost 2 years. Now that I think about it, the MSD coil is closer to 5-6 years old.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
Mine lasted maybe an hour   .  Not real happy with that time frame, it's going back to summit as quick as I can get it packed up. The car starts right up with the stock coil but new Wires/Cap & Adapter/DuraSpark IM/NUttered * timing set to 13* (4500' MSL) it doesn't want to stay running right now when it's cold, but that's a choke issue(the connector on the choke can is bent in a circle & I have to pull the carb to get it off unless I go buy an offset phillips, heck that's an excuse to go buy another tool I'll rarely use)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:49:17 AM by doc65 »

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
I had a couple of different aftermarket coils fail. I eventually bought a stock Motorcraft coil and it's been on for years. You can get them to fit the connector or with screw-on terminals and they're cheap.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
I have the Pertronix for four years now, still good in combination with the Motorcraft IM.
You have to run it on 12V from the ignition switch, the original connection is through the resistor wire, that will cause low voltage on the coil.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
I run the '70s Mopar replacement coil with zero failures in 30+ years. It even works well with points systems.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
(the connector on the choke can is bent in a circle & I have to pull the carb to get it off unless I go buy an offset phillips, heck that's an excuse to go buy another tool I'll rarely use)

I run into this problem all the time.  Take the 2 screws out you can reack and bend the retainer around the choke to remove the cap.  Once the cap is gone it's easier to get the screw out that the valve cover blocks.  When reinstalling, put the bottom screw in 1st and leave enough wiggl room to get everything else in place.  I neer retighten that bottom one.  2 will work just fine.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
I just bought the offset driver(ratcheting with about seven different inserts) from Lowes for like $10, go it plugged in, and the choke works nice now...

Prafeston

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
I think I'm having some choke issues too. I'll have to look into this.

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »

I used Accel's Ford Racing Coil for Duraspark set-ups. It is a high performance direct plug-and-play set-up with the Eagle's stock coil. You can even use the stock Horseshoe type connector. It throws out 45k Volts, and I've gotten noticeable increased power and gas mileage from it. You can get them from Summit Racing or JEGS for a little over $50, good investment in my opinion.

Resurrecting old thread as I have a question for TLC87Eagle. Is the part number for the coil you used 140207 and if so how is it holding up?

Thanks,
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
Resurrecting old thread as I have a question for TLC87Eagle. Is the part number for the coil you used 140207 and if so how is it holding up?

Thanks,

Yepp, that's the part number, and I've had it almost a year now and put about 6,000 miles on it, and it's run perfectly fine and even seemed to help out the gas mileage as well. I'd recommend putting the larger Ford 300 distributor with it too, to keep the hotter spark from cross-firing in the cap. Stock plugs gaped 0.045 work just fine.

Maybe next tune-up I may try those E3 plugs to see if they make any difference or if it's just a gimmick.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »

Yepp, that's the part number, and I've had it almost a year now and put about 6,000 miles on it, and it's run perfectly fine and even seemed to help out the gas mileage as well. I'd recommend putting the larger Ford 300 distributor with it too, to keep the hotter spark from cross-firing in the cap. Stock plugs gaped 0.045 work just fine.

Maybe next tune-up I may try those E3 plugs to see if they make any difference or if it's just a gimmick.

Great. I checked out all the specs on it and it seems like a good fit. Oddly enough, Accel doesnt recommend it for the AMC motor. From Accel themselves "The coil you have specified is a Ford Duraspark racing coil. I would not reccommend using that unit on an AMC/Jeep". I've placed it on order and with 8mm wires and the larger Cap.  Appreciate the reply.

Rich
83 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk