News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 08:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: headlight/wiper switch replacement  (Read 13287 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
headlight/wiper switch replacement
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »
If someone will be so kind as to post again what is actually required to get to the switches I'll appreciate it.  It seems to me that the TSM would have me remove more than what is really necessary to replace the switches.
Assitance appreciated.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
Re: headlight/wiper switch replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
Thanks, Smitch.  That'll be helpful. 
Now I need to know how to access the headlight switch.  The instructions I find explain how to completely remove the instrument panel and gauges. 
I thought someone explained how to tilt something out to reach the switch.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
I think you may be able to get your hand up in there to push the button and remove the handle. Remove the retaining nut, then try to wiggle the thing down to a workable place to remove the wiring connectors.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
Someone also suggested that you can remove the 2WD-4WD switch and get you hand up in there to at least remove the wiper switch.  Not sure if you can reach all the way up there for the headlight switch.  If you just remove the screws around the main dash panel, you'll be able to tilt it forward and remove the switches, without removing the instrument cluster.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
"If you just remove the screws around the main dash panel, you'll be able to tilt it forward and remove the switches, without removing the instrument cluster.  Good luck!"
vangremlin, I think that's the hint I was thinking about.  Just wanted a refresher before I tackle it.  Thanks.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
If you can do a write up when you're done that we can archive in the Eaglepedia, Jim, it would be appreciated.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »
So far I don't have anything to write about.  I haven't been able to get the panel to tilt out.  I did find out that I can reach the wiper switch through the 4x4 switch hole.  More about that switch later.  I think I can reach the headlight switch through the same opening but - I can't get the @#^%^headlight knob off!  The shaft has ridges to hold the knob, and mine looks like it make also have some glue on it. 
I tried holding the shaft with pliers and trying to force the knob off with another set of pliers, but it hasn't worked.
How can I get the headlight switch knob off without breaking the plastic dash?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
The knob and shaft are "one piece". When you pull the knob out as far as you can, then push the button on the switch it should pull the rest of the way out.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
The knob and shaft are "one piece". When you pull the knob out as far as you can, then push the button on the switch it should pull the rest of the way out.

Yes, there is a button on the switch itself, behind the dash, that you have to push and then you will be able to pull the knob and shaft the rest of the way out.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
So I discovered.  Project complete.  I'm working on a write up, but it's too late tonight to finish.

I was going to replace the wiper switch because I thought the shaft was so worn the knob would not stay in place.  I discovered that the inner part of a knob was pushed onto the shaft preventing another knob from going on far enough to latch.  That problem is resolved.

I was going to replace the headlight switch because I have no high beams.  The replacement switch functioned exactly as the original and I still have no high beams.  The switches are slightly different so I replaced the original switch.  Onward with troubleshooting.  I suppose the next place to look is in the steering column.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »
I still have no high beams. 

You could check for power at the lights on the off chance that both bulbs blew at the same time.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
I have swapped out lights with the other Eagle and back again.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »
This can be moved to the Eaglepedia, but I suggest waiting for a few days.  Someone may have comments or even corrections! :o

The wiper switch and headlight switch can be replaced by reaching up through the opening for the 4 wheel drive selector switch housing. This may be very difficult for those with large hands.

Disconnect the battery negative ground cable.

Remove the 4 wheel drive selector switch housing by loosening the two screws securing it to the dash.  The screws do not have to be removed completely.  If they are removed completely, replace them leaving them very loose before reattaching the housing.  Nothing inside the housing must be removed.  This housing is held in place with a metal plate that fits inside the opening.  It will come out with the housing.

Remove the wiper switch knob using a small screwdriver from underneath the shaft to press upward.   This has been discussed elsewhere.

Again using a small screwdriver, remove the lock nut securing the switch to the dash.

Reach through the opening in the dash and carefully work the wiper switch out through the opening.  It is a close fit but it can be done.  Unplug the connector and ground wire, hoping and praying that the other end of the ground wire is securely fastened within the dim reaches somewhere under the dash.

The headlight switch knob does not have to be removed.  The shaft can be released by pressing in on a button on the side of the switch.  The button is on the side opposite the connector.  Reaching through the opening, press inward on the button on the side of the headlight switch, and pull out the shaft. 

With a screwdriver, remove the lock tube and remove the switch.  The switch can be worked out through the opening but it may be easier to first unplug the connector.  Unplug the ground wire on the back of the switch.  We again hope and pray that the other end of the ground wire is securely fastened.  The connector has keepers on both sides that must be opened.

This is the spade connector for the ground.

To replace the switch, connect the plug and ground wire and carefully work it in through the opening.  With a screwdriver, replace the lock tube.  Insert the shaft.  You can feel it click into place.  Pull on the shaft to ensure that it is in place.  Reconnect the battery cable and test the switch.  If it works correctly, disconnect the battery cable.

Insert the wiper switch through the opening and connect the plug and ground wire.  Insert the switch through the opening.  Replace the lock nut with a screwdriver and install a knob.  Connect the battery cable and test the switch.  If it works correctly, the battery cable may remain connected if your battery can hold a charge with the doors open as you continue working.

Replace the 4 wheel drive selector switch housing.

08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Smitch

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »
Thanks Jim. I'll bookmark this for now and enter it in a couple days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk