News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 04:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wipers stop working and headlamps turn on and off  (Read 2620 times)

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
wipers stop working and headlamps turn on and off
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
My wipers have been a little funky since I bought my eagle.  They just stop every one and a while mid stroke.  At first I thought my wiper switch was going bad but recently my headlamps will just shut off and if I tap on the dash they will turn back on.  I am suspecting a ground problem and I have read a few times that there is a body ground  near the power brake booster.  Does anyone have a picture of this ground so that i can clean it up so that I can safely drive my eagle after dusk again?
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Smitch

Re: wipers stop working and headlamps turn on and off
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »
The body ground you mentioned is on the firewall between the brake booster and the engine valve cover. Hope that narrows it down enough. I also added extra ground wires, one from the engine to the inner fender and from there to the firewall.
Grounds are very important as it's only conventional theory that says the electrons run from positive to negative...in reality the reverse is true.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
Re: wipers stop working and headlamps turn on and off
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
I've fixed a Spirit, and recently, a Gremlin with bad wipers. Both times it was the ground strap between the wiper motor and the motor plate. It's hidden behind the foam that covers the backside of the motor plate. I just replaced it with a couple of inches of wire. The strap is corrugated to allow a little flex when the motor moves but it does eventually give out.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk