News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: air blows hot On Max AC  (Read 7684 times)

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
air blows hot On Max AC
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
OK first this is 1982 wagon that has been sitting for a long Time(7 years ). Trying to get the ac up and working. Have put two cans of 134a in and the air blows as hot as when the heat is on . Any ideas ? Never worked on any ac so please break it down for an idiot :)
Jim

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: air blows hot On Max AC
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
it could be as simple as the vacuum line that shuts off the flow of coolant to the heater core is broken or capped off.  That is the first thing I would check out, it is located under the hood on the right side rear of the engine compartment.
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Your compressor is kicking on? Do you have a hose that is cold and one hot from the compressor?
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
OK compresser is kicking on but making a very bad growling sound and I didn't know to check the hoses will do that tomorrow. I will also check for broken/ capped off vac lines. Thanks guys ! I'm thinking I will need to get this done as it is getting very very hot round here :)
again thanks a lot ,
Jim

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
If it is growling, you may want to check out the compressors oil. It could be dry from sitting too.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:36:58 AM »
I put a small can of oil in as an after thought :) It was strange as long as you were putting something in it didnt make a sound . But as soon as ya quit , GRRRRRRR !!! I suppose with my luck I need to replace most everthing :( not really what I want to do but  ya gotta do what ya gotta . any I dea about replacement parts ?
 again thanks a bunch ,
Jim

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
 Okay didn't get a chance to post this yesterday but here goes . Both hoses from the compresser are hot. And for thereverandbill could ya be a little more exact on location there is so much crap under the hood I'm not sure what I m looking at. sorry to sound so stupid but when it comes to this stuff I have no idea. and too poor to take it some where that does !.
 another question this thing has valves on the top of the compressor where the retro input vales goes . both of these need to be open correct ?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
  And for thereverandbill could ya be a little more exact on location there is so much crap under the hood I'm not sure what I m looking at. sorry to sound so stupid but when it comes to this stuff I have no idea. and too poor to take it some where that does !.
not a problem, I hope this clears all up.
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
The retro valves should be tightened down and left closed, with the schrader valves in them. Your refrigerant can hooks up to one of the valves. You have to run the vehicle and AC while you charge it.  Make sure to shake that can extremely well or it won't have enough pressure to get into your AC system.

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »
therevendbill. as you can see the problem i am having may be  because I do not have what you talking about.

correct me if I am wrong but I appear to be missing some parts ? no Idea. you see any thing that's looks like what I am looking for ? again sorry to sound stupid but hey that's just me :)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
Didn't look hard

Yellow wire is supposed to connect to a condenser on the coil.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:04:45 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
that could be your problem then.  I know when I removed the engine and re installed it I couldn't get heat and that was because that valve was on bypass mode
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
Mudkicker what do ya mean "didn't look hard " there isn't anything that looks like what He posted in his picture. There are pieces and parts that I done have. I know nothing about these things at all. I haven't had this car a full month yet , this is as it was when I bought it . No idea about the yellow wire going to the coil, didn't know it should go to the Distributor, again this is the way I got it . Where would it be attached there ?
 Thanks for the help!
Jim

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 03:29:38 PM »
I'm away from a computer. So I looked on a 4" screen. It doesn't show a whole lot of detail when its small like that.

Btw I meant that barreel connector goes to a condensor. I worded that way wrong

Manitowoc WI

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
And oh by the way it is going to the coil ! Guess that's what ya meant since ya did the edit thing
Jim

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
Yes, it sure does look like your shut off valve is missing, flowing full hot water through the heater core at all times.
Quick fix for the summer, ( and my AMX has this because I removed all the heater box stuff ) is to tie those 2 hoses together that come out from the core and bypass the core , it doesn't hurt anything at all, and will solve your issue quickly.You will just need to get it fixed for heat in the winter.That plastic coupling fitting in the one hose looks like someone removed the valve and did a straight shot through the core.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
So drain down your radiator a bit , enough to be able to pull the heater hoses without alot of coolant loss, and maybe those 2 splices they did can be pulled apart seperatly and just be put the 2 ends together useing what you have there.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
Bypassing the heater core is only a small part of getting cold air from your A/C.    The A/C system in the car was designed for R12, and just putting in R134A will not make the system work.  Just putting a can or two of 134A will not make the system blow cold.  You will need to replace the receiver/drier (134A will attack the bag holding the desiccant in the drier), flush out the evaporator, condenser, & hoses with A/C solvent (sold at most auto parts stores in an aerosol can), and replace the compressor if it is bad.   You will also need to install the proper 134A service fittings and retrofit label.   After all that is done, it would be best to take the car to an A/C shop to have it leak tested, evacuated, and recharged with the proper oil and amount of refrigerant.  If not done properly, you will be spending a lot of money needlessly, and have a system that will not work properly.  Even if you have a source for R12, it is best to make sure the entire system is working correctly (compressor working, no leaks etc) before charging it.   
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
ahhhh , my bad. I missed the part of it, "hot on max ac" . didn't have me coffee yet with that reply : ) .

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
No Problem thanks a lot guys glad ya spoke up !!! Gives me a good Idea where to start :)
Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk