News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 04:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rough running and stalling  (Read 5712 times)

nvsteve

rough running and stalling
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
Noticed today the wagon started to cut out under throttle and felt like it was going to quit running.  Got home and put it in the garage for awhile.

When I went out to start it,  it fired then died and would not start again.  pulled the fuel hose off the filter and it turned it over and it started right up. 

I remembered that when I first bought it, I was having a similar problem and someone on here suggested disconnecting the fuel return line at the filter and blowing it out with compressed air,  with the gas cap removed.

Did that again and wala she's running good as new.   Is there a permanent fix for this?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: rough running and stalling
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
IIRC there is a device in that line that goes bad.  I forget what did, maybe a one-way valve of some kind.  I will need to research that again.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
There is a check valve in the return fuel line. Mine was in the return line that runs from the filter down to a fitting by the fender. I replaced that line and discovered the check valve, it was INSIDE the hose by the lower fitting, about the size of a empty 22 shell casing. Truth is I found it by accident and had no idea what it was so...I dropped in my pocket (tg) installed my new hose and merrily headed for town 30 miles away. About the time I got there the engine was missing shuddering and died. Hard to start and when it did it didn't run long. A mechanic friend came to my rescue, checked everything and never did figure it out. I ended up copsing it home. 4 hours later I got home found the check valve and installed it. The car ran great!
I'm stupid for not putting it back in the line, but I'm glad I kept it because when i try-ed to get a new one, nobody had ever seen anything like that! I wondered if it was just on my 83 sport?
Oh if you drive for a while and there isn't pressure when you open the gas tank, you probably need a check valve on your return gas line, and don't put it in backwards.
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
Yes, now that you mention it I remember that check valve also!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
I will try to locate that valve too.

The fuel line in my Eagle drains down in about three days.
When I use a two-way fuel filter (so no return line) it will keep pressure, but so much that it starts overflowing the carburettor.

I guess this valve is acting a bit like the pressure regulator valve in a fuel injected system, keeping a constant pressure on the carburettor and return excess fuel to the tank?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
I have never seen or used one in any amc I replaced fuel lines for. Going on 2 complete lines now. All my amcs have always started fine. The carrbs were also in tiptop shape.

Manitowoc WI

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
In my case I think the carb was starving for fuel. Probably maintains a low pressure in fuel line. Just a guess.

To Mudkicker: did you use smaller line?
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
3/8 no return.

Manitowoc WI

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
I bow to a more intelligent and possibly better looking man than I. :occasion14:

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »
Haha

Manitowoc WI

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Mudkicker,what do you mean by "3/8 no return"?
That you have no return line?

I have checked my fuel return line under the hood, there is no valve in there what so ever.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
Mudkicker,what do you mean by "3/8 no return"?
That you have no return line?

I have checked my fuel return line under the hood, there is no valve in there what so ever.

Only a fuel feed line. I hate getting rust and other dirt in my eyes so I get lazy.

Manitowoc WI

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:38 AM »
There is a check valve in the return fuel line. Mine was in the return line that runs from the filter down to a fitting by the fender. I replaced that line and discovered the check valve, it was INSIDE the hose by the lower fitting, about the size of a empty 22 shell casing. Truth is I found it by accident and had no idea what it was so...I dropped in my pocket (tg) installed my new hose and merrily headed for town 30 miles away. About the time I got there the engine was missing shuddering and died. Hard to start and when it did it didn't run long. A mechanic friend came to my rescue, checked everything and never did figure it out. I ended up copsing it home. 4 hours later I got home found the check valve and installed it. The car ran great!
I'm stupid for not putting it back in the line, but I'm glad I kept it because when i try-ed to get a new one, nobody had ever seen anything like that! I wondered if it was just on my 83 sport?
Oh if you drive for a while and there isn't pressure when you open the gas tank, you probably need a check valve on your return gas line, and don't put it in backwards.

Both my 81 Concord and 85 Eagle have this check valve inside the return line. Over 11 years ago I discovered it when changing the fuel hoses in the Concord. When the car is running you can feel a pulse coming from it if you grab that portion of hose. This is a one way valve and has to go back in the new line the same direction it came out of the old hose.

I would guess that many an Eagle and Concord/Spirit went to the junkyard because of this valve not being known about when the fuel hoses were changed and the real problem never got found.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:02:03 AM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk