News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 12:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 85 eagle wagon  (Read 3724 times)

Offline kwkwest90

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
85 eagle wagon
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »
I have an eagle thats in great shape cosmetically, but it runs like crap.

It's been puttin really bad for a little while now, and the oil light will come on when its cold occaisionally and everytime I take it on the highway.
I've had the rear main seal, the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, and a new radiator put in and i still can't seem to get it running right.

It still has all the original parts including the plastic valve cover.
I was hoping to get some suggestions as to what my problem might be.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 85 eagle wagon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
Gaskets don't change how a car runs.

Manitowoc WI

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
Could you give us more info regarding the engine's performance.    Poor oil pressure readings, can be from a bad sender, not enough oil, oil too thin and/or a weak oil pump.   The easiest thing to try is too use 20W 50 oil to partially overcome old oil pump gears.  I am guessing you miight have some oil loss too with that plastic cover.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline kwkwest90

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
yea i've had to put about a quart of oil in between oil changes. i've been trying to find an inexpensive replacement for the valve cover. but everything ive found so far is about a hundred bucks.

Offline kwkwest90

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »
its spitting and sputtering. it almost acts like its going to stall but then doesn't. ive had the oil sensor looked at and from what they could tell it wasn't leaking. its almost like it is an oil pressure issue. but the oil light only comes on after driving on the highway for about 10 mins.

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
Does the oil light come on when you are going down the highway or just when you come to a stop?
Have you tried using heavier oil as Iowa Eagle suggested. The oil pump and bearings are probably worn and not keeping the pressure up.
The most common cause of poor running is a vacuum leak in one of the hoses cracked or disconnected or plugged idle tubes in the carburetor.
It could also be the EGR valve is stuck and leaking internally or an ignition problem.

Offline eagletuner

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »
lucas oil stabilizer works amazing too

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
Gaskets don't change how a car runs.

I can't resist this Kicker, what about a leaking intake gasket ?? or carb base gasket for that  matter..... : )

I know you meant the ones he replaced though  :occasion14:

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Correct. Haha

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk