News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:35:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Removal - Duh  (Read 4248 times)

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Coil Removal - Duh
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
Howdy.
Folks, this is bloody embarrassing. It's been so long, I've forgotten how to remove the ignition coil. I removed the screw that I thought would allow the clamp band to expand so the ign. coil could be slipped out. But no, the clamp band does not expand at alll.
So, with my dunce cap in hand, I ask, how is the ignition coil removed? Yes, I am doing the TFI upgrade to a second Eagle.
Thanks.
R. Cielec
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Coil Removal - Duh
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
If there are 2 bolts holding the clamp to the motor pull 1 off. Than the clamp will/should expand.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
If there are 2 bolts holding the clamp to the motor pull 1 off. Than the clamp will/should expand.
Yes, this, too, is what I thought. But, I cannot loosen either of the two bolts even with channel lock piers. Hence, my wondering if I misunderstood the apparent simplicity of the mounting.  The socket hex. has been stripped out by a prior owner ergo: the channel lock pilers.  Yes, I am attempting to turn bolts CCW. I do NOT want to try heating with torch for reason of fire hazard.
Just keep spritzing with anti-rust and using the channel locks. I mean - not many alternatves: 1) remote mounting of coil or 2) cut existing clamp/strp and fabricate something.
Thanks to all.
Regards,
Richard Cielec
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
I remember mine were very tight too, I even bought a new toolbit and had to put my full weight in to unscrew them.
Maybe the used lockite originally?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
Because my "two bolts" socket heads appear stripped, I cannot properly identify their size. Can you confirm what size/style of toolbit is required ?  I can't see the bolt heads well but, I am assuming they accept a hex. socket, SAE 3/16 inch.
Thanks.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

I remember mine were very tight too, I even bought a new toolbit and had to put my full weight in to unscrew them.
Maybe the used lockite originally?
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
I had a great deal of trouble getting mine out, too.  I think I pulled the dist cap to get to them better.
I was thinking mine were phillips.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
Use a cold chisel ccw on the edge of the bolt head ccw to break it loose, then visegrips to unscrew, rotate coil and mount and do the same to the other bolt, you will need new bolts anyway if the torx or hex is chewed up.
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
They are Torx bit - At least the three Eagles in Pat's yard are all Torx bits.

I can't tell you the exact size but it's bigger then a T-27 and smaller then a T-45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk