News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Francine has a new set of eyes  (Read 7931 times)

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Francine has a new set of eyes
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
Picked up a pair of Marchal 750's on the Bay, installed them on Sunday.  Now I can see the deer before they throw themselves in front of the car in a futile attempt to escape this world.

1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Francine has a new set of eyes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
I had mine on when the two committed suicide.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
I am curious where you mounted the switch for them.  I have mine wired and working, but have not figured out a good place to mount the switch. 

They look nice on your Eagle.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
I am curious where you mounted the switch for them.  I have mine wired and working, but have not figured out a good place to mount the switch. 

They look nice on your Eagle.

I put the switch just to the left of the ash tray.  There's good space behind it and I could tuck all the wires behind so they're not showing.  I'll get a picture of the switch sometime.  It's an older switch, no lights on it.  The guy who owns the jeep in the background of one of those pics helped me install it and he had that switch leftover.

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »
Okay cool.  That is one of the places I was thinking of putting it.  Glad to hear there is room to tuck the wires behind in that spot because I have extra wires.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
Hey, that's where I put mine, too ! It's a popular place for an extra switch... Easy to reach, plenty of room and wires going through the firewall happily end just there.

At the beginning I wanted to install it in the "right" place for a fog light switch (leftmost part of the dash, on the left of the HL switch) but then I remembered the trouble I had when replacing the instrument cluster and gave up.

Following a friend's suggestion, I installed an underhood relay for the foglights, as well as a fuse from batt. to relay, so that I need only one low gauge wire from the switch to the relay under the hood. The heavy gauge wire run is limited to the battery -> fuse -> relay -> lights circuit.
The current to "wake up" the relay is routed through the switch from the feed of the rally pack gauges illumination, so the fog lights will come on only if (at least) the markers are on.
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
Hey, that's where I put mine, too ! It's a popular place for an extra switch... Easy to reach, plenty of room and wires going through the firewall happily end just there.

At the beginning I wanted to install it in the "right" place for a fog light switch (leftmost part of the dash, on the left of the HL switch) but then I remembered the trouble I had when replacing the instrument cluster and gave up.

Following a friend's suggestion, I installed an underhood relay for the foglights, as well as a fuse from batt. to relay, so that I need only one low gauge wire from the switch to the relay under the hood. The heavy gauge wire run is limited to the battery -> fuse -> relay -> lights circuit.
The current to "wake up" the relay is routed through the switch from the feed of the rally pack gauges illumination, so the fog lights will come on only if (at least) the markers are on.

That's exactly how I installed mine (following a friends suggestion to do the same) it only added about $15 to the cost of the wiring, but it made it safer and easier to install).

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »
Me being a non-smoker, would have put the switch in the ashtray.   I do that with my 'Benzs when I need to add an accessory.   I use switches with LED's on them, and I can close the ashtray a little so the bright LED does not bother me at night.  This is also better, as no holes are drilled in hard to find parts.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:17 AM »
Me being a non-smoker, would have put the switch in the ashtray.   I do that with my 'Benzs when I need to add an accessory.   I use switches with LED's on them, and I can close the ashtray a little so the bright LED does not bother me at night.  This is also better, as no holes are drilled in hard to find parts.

That's a good idea.  I use my ash tray for spare change.  My other 2 vehicles do not have ash trays.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »

I might do that for other switches, ones that I wouldn't use regularly while driving.  I like the easier access this place provides so I can flip them off when I see an oncoming car.  My plans are to throw 4 more lights up top when I get my basket, then put 2 bright ones in back so I can see behind me when reversing.  Granted after my last trip Francine needs some serious TLC to her underside, I sort of smashed her up with big rocks  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk