News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad ground  (Read 665 times)

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Bad ground
« on: July 07, 2023, 05:34:57 PM »
If anyone has experience with bad ground, any info on how it was resolved or where it was found would be greatly appreciated. If I turn headlights or blower on, the gauges pin out.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Bad ground
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 06:35:05 PM »
I checked, re checked and re checked all the grounds. Replaced what looked questionable. Then I rewired the headlights with relays, so they would draw power directly from the battery. Not because of the dashboard lights dimming. The big problem I was having was the low beams were not bright enough and I didn’t want all that power going through the headlight switch causing it to over heat and potentially burn out or cause a electrical fire.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
Well the blower motor is case grounded (has its own ground), so I don't think it's a ground problem.  What does it mean, the gauges 'pin out?'  Do they stop working?  What do the instrument cluster lights do?  More information please.

If you have a test light or multimeter, it will help a lot.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »
The main engine-to-body strap failed on me once. Because the ignition system and the computer grounds through the block the engine ran but when you applied loads through the body (EG: the headlights or brake lights) it would try and ground itself through anything it could find back to the engine, such as through the rear diff, the driveshaft, the T-case and transmission and finally the engine. It also tries to backfeed through the temperature sender and for example you stomp on the brake the gauge pegs.

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:27:53 PM »
Thank you for the response. I did replace engine to body strap with a heavy duty battery cable. I actually thought it fixed the issue but the issue soon returned.

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 10:29:48 PM »
So when I say pin out what happens is all the gauge needles move fully clockwise to max position.

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 06:59:58 AM »
Check the ground on the firewall in the engine bay between the back of the motor and the brake booster.

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
I know that is one that I removed and sanded and reattached. I was in fact moving wires around in that area the other day and the problem temporarily was gone. Maybe the ground wire to that spot is cracked enough to cause issue?

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 09:46:46 PM »
If you were moving them a round and the problem got better, temporarily. It could be that there is a bad wire in the harness somewhere. Possibly a housing that hardened from heat and allowed water/moisture in causing corrosion. When I did my ECM Test bypass I checked all the wires for insulation hardness and any corrosion on any connections. If I recall, it took me at least a week working a couple hours a day to check all of them. I always double and usually triple check my work.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 05:59:18 PM »
I have had good luck using jumper cables to find bad engine/body grounds.  Just put one set from body to engine, and the other from engine to battery.  If the problem goes away, you're barking up the right tree.

You can also use a test light in kind of the same way.  If it lights up from body to engine, that ground would be suspect.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline framedoctor

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 06:20:08 PM »
Good news, problem found. At some point, someone removed the ground wire from the ground stud behind the brake assist and moved it to a spot with a self-tapping screw. It was getting an intermittent connection. I had to add length to the wire and reattach it to the stud. all is good.

Thank you to everyone who helped with suggestions. Mips, Canoe, Taylor, Trader, Illeagle, Trooper

The car was for my son from his grandfather. Now he can drive it.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 07:03:47 PM »
Great to hear you found the problem!  And that is a really beautiful Eagle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 08:06:30 PM »
Thanks for the update.