News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '88 Wagon rehab  (Read 14925 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: '88 Wagon rehab
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »
Welcome back! Have fun this summer with it!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
Just finished my big cap upgrade, I think I like it.  Recently my radio has stopped working and last autumn my rear wiper stopped.  Any ideas on that?  Oh and one of my rear windows won't roll up occasionally. Otherwise she's been a reliable daily driver all spring.
Nate
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon, dark blue metallic, blue interior

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »
On the rear window problem check for a broken wire at the door hinges . Rear wiper might be the same . Check the wires where they go into the lift hatch. The opening and closing of the door and hatch tends to break  wires.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
went to the junk yard today and I found a rear washer nozzle, an intermittent wiper switch and delay module, a later model cassette radio and some assorted fasteners.  I still couldn't get the front skid plate or receiver hitch off but I'll go back next week for that.  The wire to the rear wiper is broken at the lift gate, what is the best way to fix that?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 12:13:08 AM »
Reconnecting the wires is the best start. I would dig into ghe hatch headliner to lengthen and connect for good measure.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
now that I've had a few days to ponder it I've come up with a course of action of running new wires from the head liner out then into the lift gate and to the motor using the old wire to snake the new ones through. I will then make the splice behind the headliner and attach the wires at the motor.  while I'm at it I'll replace the broken sprayer nozzle with the one I found at the salvage yard and also adjust the hinge spacing because I have some overhanging issue at the lift gate over the tailights.  I should drop the headliner too while I'm at as it is sagging, but I'll save that for another day. The other project will be taking care of dash issues and putting in my new (too me) wiper switch with delay and new to me cassette radio. Maybe the heater core too.  so all I need is free time lol
Nate

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »
I've fixed a couple more vacuum lines and had the carb tuned and she is running really well. I took the kids on a trip up north last weekend about 500 miles round trip and she performed admirably.  next projects include rear window motor, thermostat, fuel pump plus the fore mentioned dash and rear hatch projects and getting the transfer case to shift. still have to go back to the salvage yard to try and get that skid plate and receiver hitch but their rather stubbornly attached.  still hoping to find a blue cargo cover or automatic console and some vent shades but I have a couple more salvage yards on my list to check out. I'm having a lot of fun with the eagle this summer. 
Nate

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 11:33:54 PM »
hi, man, where is that salvage yard?!! I haven't seen an Eagle in a local salvage yard for years! good luck, gz

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »
I use two different thermostats in two cars - a 180 & a 195. The 180 will take the chill off but for real heat the 195 is superior.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »
Changing the tstat effects performance emissions and mileage. Unless all coolant sensors are outbfor inspection. That is somthing else entirely than. If sensors sensors are in after checking good. Use the 195 degree stat. It was designed to be happy at that temp like most other motors.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »
I've found the new rear window motor works but I can't figure out how to get the old one out.  I replaced the fuel pump (mostly for piece of mind) and put in the proper 195 degree thermostat (only after breaking then replacing the t-stat housing too.)  and a new fan belt while I had it loose, it was kinda light duty and getting a little checked.  I tried putting in the tape deck radio but it is longer than the digital radio and didn't fit with out the appropriate nylon back stop mount. So I'll have to grab that next time I'm at the salvage yard (which is in northern Michigan near Belaire by the way).  I hooked it up to the power though but it didn't seem to work but my stock radio is intermittent too so it may still work for me once I figure that issue out. Over all I'm very pleased with how she's running.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
If the window motors have not been replaced before then you will need to drill out the rivets that hold the motor to the door. Everything else just unplugs. I have a blue cargo cover and center console if you're still looking.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:33:00 PM by mo.eagles »
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
I finally replaced the window motor and did the intermittent wiper switch too. It sure feels good to be able to roll the window up when it rains instead of having a garbage bag over the window frame. Next is to tackle the rear wiper rewiring, washer nozzle and lift gate hinge alignment. mo.eagles I pm'd you about those parts
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:56:51 PM by Nate Campbell »

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »
I got the rear hatch a little better aligned and the washer nozzle installed. I rewired the rear wiper motor but it still doesn't work.  I'm not too savvy when it comes to things of an electrical nature.

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
I was fooling with the rear wiper switch and noticed the washer sprayer  wasn't working where previously it had. I checked my owners manual and both the wiper and washer are on the same circuit breaker I pulled it and put it back in and the wiper moved for the first time in months. So I oiled everything and not its working again. It is such a handy thing to have working in the winter. I'm really quite pleased.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk