News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Let's see your Fog lights!!  (Read 39915 times)

Offline SpiritGTMan

• Ramblers on the Brain
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
    • Friend me!
Re: Let's see your Fog lights!!
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Judging by the photo carnuck has of his fog lights the holes on Freeagle look a little wider. On carnuck's the fogs seem much closer to the license plate and much farther away from the headlight trim.
Agreed, in looking at various photos and ads the original holes seem to be closer to the centerline of the car. 

Also, loosely setting my newly-acquired Marchals on my bumper shows that they would be blocking part of the turn signal lens and hi-beam if mounted where your holes are. 

But I have to commend you again, you really did a bang-up job of locating the holes on yours so even a dummy like me could get it perfect.

Offline SpiritGTMan

• Ramblers on the Brain
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
    • Friend me!
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
Anyway you could check out the "Show me your fog lights" thread. We need some measurements for where the holes are drilled in the bumper. That's assuming your fog lights were stock.
I have two front bumpers. One is for work and testing. The other is for show. Both are aluminum. I recently undid my fog lights to eliminate an electrical issue and to do drilling measurements on a pre-Setina brushguard for front+bottom securing.

Bumper length: 53.25"
Guard length: 24.25"
Guard centering from ends: 14.5"
Foglight distance from ends: 18.5"

So you see there I have 2" of overlap on each foglamp and since they're round they bulk out and they're in the way. They have to go. I'm more than likely going to scrap this project if I can't get a welder. I'll just make new measurements and machine a new bumper. (´・ω・`)
Thanks for measuring!  Are your foglight holes original location for the original Marchal units?

Prafeston

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
His fogs appear to be original, but the measurements he gave don't help quite as much. Would really be better to have measurements from the center of the holes.

The holes for the stock fogs look like they are almost 2x as far from the headlight trim and bumper protector than the holes on mine.

Offline SpiritGTMan

• Ramblers on the Brain
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
    • Friend me!
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
I may just find my own mounting locations.
Here's my recent acquisition.  Notice the mounting cones.

The mounting cones present a little bit of a dilemma because of the ridge on the bumper.

If I mount them on top of the ridge, part of the cone is hanging off the bumper but the light ends up positioned nicely.
If I mount them forward of the ridge, the cone mounting surface is all on the bumper but the light ends up forward of the bumper and looks awkward.

As for how far inboard from the sides of the car they should be, I think about 1" in from where the headlight trim meets the grille.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:42 AM »
That whole front end is sweet. The grill looks so different from any AMC I've seen though. Did you fabricate that?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Prafeston

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:58 AM »
That whole front end is sweet. The grill looks so different from any AMC I've seen though. Did you fabricate that?

That grill is from a Spirit. I might have one for sale here pretty soon.

Offline SpiritGTMan

• Ramblers on the Brain
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
    • Friend me!
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
The grille is 81-83 Spirit.  You may also notice that the bumper stands out from the front of the car further than on an Eagle.

Offline SpiritGTMan

• Ramblers on the Brain
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
    • Friend me!
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »
Not wired up yet but mounted.  Sanded & painted the bumper while I was at it.

Gotta wear shades!

Comes pretty close to what it's supposed to look like, eh?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
I got the stock Marchall's I couldn't fine any close up photos.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline projectscreamingeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »
i liked the way mine looked with out the bumper on it and i needed somthing to fill the holes lol

with his claws bearing the screaming eagle will prevale
im not buyist i own an AMC
'is that suppose to go there' - class mate 'I don know... we'll find out' -me

Prafeston

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
I know I'm being nit picky, but I am still looking for the exact location of the fog light holes drilled in the front bumper. I want them to be in the correct stock location. I know I could look at some of these pictures and probably just guess, but I want it to be precise! :)

If you could grab some measurements like the ones I made on Threepete before I realized they were drilled in a non-stock location...Threepete didn't have fog lights from the factory.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Here are mine. My car did have factory fog lights, and these are directly fitted to the original housing using the factory dash switch. Now...mine are IMPERITIVE, because, as you can see, my headlights are not...quite....straight.

My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Lynx_Gen

• Apprenti Mekanic, pro tinkerer
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • The eagle has flowen the coop!
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
i wouldnt piddle around with "fog" lights and such anymore...

Go with LED light bars.

Sure, they're a bit pricey, but you get the right brand, they have a lifetime warrenty... you can tie the cord around your bumper, and drag em for 100 miles over whatever terrain you like, and stop n plug em in and they will still light up the world bright as the sun, and still be covered under warrenty if they fail afterwards.

they also consume waaay less power.

last time I used a light bar, (24") a guy brighted me... I flicked my high beams on and off. he flashed me and went back to high beams. I flashed mine again.. he flashed me back.. i hit the "Daylight" button.

from 2kms away, I could tell you what shade of yellow his teeth were and how wide his eyes opend, and how hard his jaw bounced of the steering wheel before he brought his arm up to shield his eyes.

My dakota I have over 900 watts of "Daylighter type lights" when I turn them all on, it cionsumes too much poer, I cant leave em on very long at all. I have to aim each light to a desired spot to light up the optimum amount of usefull viewing area..  with the light bar, I just sorta aim it, and it out does all those lights by far, and uses like 1/10th of the power.

Im converting my quad to leds next.. 4 2x2" lights will give me 6X as much light, and use 1/3rd the electrons.

and Im not talking bout lame LED headlights.. im talking bout light bars, you can get em in single or double rows, and from like 2" to 72" long, order to fit your needs.. various designs etc as well..

I love technology!

~L~
For all your vac/emissions/computer related and such stuff, see here:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

"Why fix your brakes? all they do is slow you down?"
"The nut behind the wheel is loose..."
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress... (needs tranny repaired/replaced)
1980s ish tent trailor... needs a 6" lift and re-wiring, and wiring harness fabbed for the eagle.
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. Now gone, R.I.P. I have the engine, harness and ECU.. the rest donated to a good cause.. Fireman practice (they light it on fire then put it out!)
1985 Merkur XR4Ti.. the 2013 demo derby car - compact car class (hoping to find old buick skylark bumper to put on it! BAHAHAHAA!!!)
1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy. patiently waiting for engine swap and various mods and goodies... my little road legal go cart for auto-x and drift etc.
91 pimped out dakota sport 4x4.
95 ford ranger (with the 86 merkur turbo engine, not quite done yet.)
97 Tahoe
2001 ford windstar

92 Yamaha warrior (quad-350) engine broke, again.. >.<

2001 kawasaki KX.. WEEEEEEHAAAA! (my main toy till next spring, then its trade in with Income tax mula for a 250, but prolly gona be a dual sport, so maybe even a bigger bike... still undecided)
1982 Honda Magna 750(V45)

1980s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spkoe rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk