News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 83 Wagon Fails Emissions  (Read 8875 times)

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: 83 Wagon Fails Emissions
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
CO too high usually means the motor isn't warm enough to switch to closed circuit, which also means the O2 isn't online. The high altitude thing may shut off the O2 sensor info as well. Not sure. A voltmeter will tell you if the O2 is working or not. I used to use a sweep meter and it would flip back and forth pretty fast. (like an on/off switch)
   I cross wire the dist to make it backfire and that cleans out the idle tubes. Dirty motor oil raises the CO as well. I temporarily plugged the PCV on mine and rerouted it to the ground for the test.

Yeah, the O2 sensor issue was that the entire sensor was rusted out. Essentially all I had was a small amount of sensor housing left. There's too little metal left to grip onto so my option now is to use a bolt extractor and/or left hand drill bit to get it out. I've got time to try and remove what's left (I've got a low profile angle head drill on the way) and put in a working sensor. I also need to do an oil change so that should help. Given the improvement between my first and second test with the CO numbers, I'm pretty confident that I can get it to pass - either by actually fixing the problem or with a combination of the workarounds you and others have suggested.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: 83 Wagon Fails Emissions
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 09:47:06 PM »
 zboot , just ran across a TSB in the shop manual  that says when you add the high altitude jumper (with auto trans) to change ignition timing to 16* BTDC . Just thought you would like to know.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk