News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 01:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler Wheels  (Read 3675 times)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Jeep Wrangler Wheels
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
Hi all,  I'm working on my wheel issues and is seems like wheels from a 92-98 Jeep Cherokee are a pretty sure bet but I don't see mentions of Jeep Wrangler wheels yet. I found this chart and I'm not seeing the difference. Can you tell me if I'm missing something here or would these wheels work. My husband thinks I could get away with some 31x10 coopers on this car.

Thanks in advance! I'm finding out the learning curve from my concord to this Eagle is being quite the new occupation...
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Jeep Wrangler Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Wrangler (YJ and TJ) wheels should fit. There may be some center cap clearance issues with the rear axle. 31" tires will require a bit of cutting. Even 235/75/15's require some cutting of the fenders.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
Very much appreciate the quick response. Since all I really know is my Concord and my old Ford I had to go take a quick google class    :-\ about Jeeps. It looks like the yj was from 1987-1995 and the TJ was from 1997-2006 (hmmm that leaves a year missing). So I'm hoping that means that both sets of wheels from 1998 and 2004 should work.

The reason I'm looking at the big tires is it looks like the PO already did a fair amount of cutting and the stock size tires as shown in the picture look pretty funny.
Laura (Shorty)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
I put a set of Jeep wheels on my Eagle and they worked great.  They were 15x7's from a Cherokee, so an inch wider than the stock Eagle wheels.  I put 235/75-15 tires on and had to do some big time cutting, even with a 2" suspension lift.  These tires are 29's, basically.  My personal opinion is that anything larger won't work unless you get silly with cutting or lifting.

There looks like lots of clearance in this picture, but when I turn I still rub a little on the rear edge.

Also, the 2.35 ratio differential gears in most of the wagons doesn't work great with the larger tires.  Third gear doesn't do much until I'm over 65 mph on the highway, and even then big hills require dropping down into 2nd.  And that's with 29's.  If you are lucky enough to have higher ratio differentials, then you may pull it off I guess.
 If I had it to do over, I'd stick with 225/75-15 as a max size.

I'm looking at your current wheels, those are 15x7's from a Jeep Wrangler I think.  Are you just looking from a different style?
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »
Very good food for thought... I don't know what your transmission is but I can't hardly use 5th gear until I get to 70 with these tires and the speedo is already 5 mph off. The ones that are on there now are 215/75 R15.
The wheels I have are just trashy looking. The guy i bought it from tried to make them black (paint or coating?) and it didn't work very well. I thought maybe 31's would fill up where they cut the fenders out but I think you're right on about the gear ratio. I do need this thing to have enough power to reliably get down our muddy road.
Laura (Shorty)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
Ah, you have a manual trans.  That would be nice!  I've got the 3spd automatic, so I was talking about 3rd on the freeway.  I notice you don't have the plastic/rubber fender flares.  If you want to cover the gap, maybe you could find a set of them?  No idea how hard that would be though.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
As i work on this car I realize that i really just bought a 5 speed tranny and the interior, the rest of the car is just gravy.... It's ending up needing way more work than i figured and the body isn't that great... but....I would probably do it over again just for the tranny.  Go figure. I guess i'll start trying to figure out how to put some fender flares on it.:) Maybe i can stick to the tire size i have and find some prettier wheels.
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk