News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: my poor eagle is broken  (Read 2352 times)

Offline JLund

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
my poor eagle is broken
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Hello all,
I could really use some help, I got my 84 eagle Sudan about 2 to 3 weeks ago after it sat for 6 months. It drove great for a week or so and this problem slowly came arise. It started at random times when I stopped at a stop sign it would stall out I would start up the motor and it would be fine. Then it got worse to the point where if I took my foot off the gas is would stall out and I couldn't get it to start unless I let it sit for 10 to 15 mins and it would go again. so yesterday I had a good friend and mechanic come down and we found the fuel line was dirty as all heck when we pulled the line this black stuff came out and we got the fuel going right again and everything seemed fine until later that afternoon the problem started again. so today I tore apart the carb cleaned it, did a tune up(what looks like it has not been done since early 2000, spark plugs full of carbon, oil was black, fuel filter was gross as all heck) and now the car shudders and when I turn off the engine it fires a few more cylinders, also when i let it run for a bit and shut it off and let it be for an hour after it was warmed up it will not start again. I am sick of playing this guessing game someone help
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:34:06 PM by JLund »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: my poor eagle is broken
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
I would guess that the black gunk in the fuel line is not only in the line but potentially in the tank also?  The tune up was a good start, keep with it my friend, these older cars can be finicky but well worth the effort.  Lots of people on this site willing to help (many of them with more experience than me  ;)  ) so don't be afraid to ask questions. 

I'm not sure I've had the exact problems you've had but the last one you mention about the car not wanting to start when its warm - I've had a similar problem and found that by pushing the gas pedal to the floor while trying to start it is very helpful. 

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline JLund

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »
actually i may have found the problem i was looking into vapor lock on the car cause it does over heat(sits on the top line of the green side) and found out that AMC eagle do have an easy chance of vapor locking cause they have a metal fuel line that runs over the top of the engine so when I went to check out the radiator and thermostat I found out that someone before me removed the thermostat and never put it back so I believe that the car was vapor locking and not able to run right. due to living in a small town the only auto part store in town is closed on Sundays so Monday it is to get a new one and hopefully fix the problem

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
Give the fuel pump a thought
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk