News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 01:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 258 cam  (Read 4641 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
258 cam
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Ok guys so here is the deal, I'm going to be doing a timing chain on the eagle and I was wondering with the stock motor and head is there a good cam I could use to unlock some power? I'm running the stock carb but I do have a Weber 38/38 sitting on my bench.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: 258 cam
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »
I did a 4.0 head swap on my engine and swapped cams at the same time.  I have the cam I used listed in another thread, let me track it down and post it here also.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
hi, i ran a Crower "Baja Beast" performance Level 1 cam for years, with a MC2150. ran great. PN 44902. good luck, gz
ps, don't go too big on the cam, Eagles need lots of vacuum!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
I went with the Comp Cam CL68-115-4.  Seems to work really good.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »
Guys thank you for the replies. So I looked into the crower cam and the comp cam, I like both. Do either of you have any video or sound with the engine running I'd like to see how it sounds. Do either have a rough idle? Vangremlin that cam comes in a kit with the lifters?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
hi, actually, I ran both those cams, the Crower in my 82, and the comp in my 84. The Crower is a little more of a performance cam, but still a smooth idle. The comp is very smooth, but more power than stock. good luck, gz

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:32 AM »
Which would you say is better? So the crower is better than the comp and the comp is better than stock? I prefer a little bit of rumble at idle.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »
I used whatever a 94 xj with the 7120 had. I cannot say what that did as i used the motor to stroke my sedan, also only carbed. Also has msd ignition. The whole thing with 2.73 gears lights up tires in second with my sr4 and 235 75 15 tires on alloys.  And has dropped my driveshaft a couple times.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »
Wow mudkicker you sure you wanna beat that sr4?? LoL that's what I'm running in my 83 sx4 and to be honest I have no complaints aside from the fact I have 3.54 gears and the car is always looking for 5th on the highway. I don't know why those transmissions always get a bad rap.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
I walked past my wife in a a crwn vic with a chip that could give 112mph. As apposed to 108mph. She was giving heck and so was i meaning  foot was through the floor. I do not condone this or try it anymore. Just saying if you got a slouch couch of an eagle. Wow wake it up baby. Another thing i have no idea where this happened or the fact of nobody was around us. However i was slow to catch her. But as said i walked past idk what rpms were even showing.  Also its in a state of restoration so. Hey the 7120 s h i t rocks.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Wow so that thing has some get up and go !!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
Well at the moment both passenger doors are off. I am lazily resoring my paint again last time no prep was done to the inside areas and i have lots planned. But yeah anyway i have no complaints to a 7120 head stroker with true dual exasted mc 21??. 

Manitowoc WI

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 12:47:29 AM »
hi. remember please, that no cam is "better" than another. Different grinds will give you different performance parameters. YOU decide what you want, and choose accordingly. Even the stock cam is ok for some folks. Choosing a cam requires you do some research, and gain some understanding. A good cam will really wake up our 258s, but it is not a magic bullet. This is old school  Hot Rodding 101.  Cam/carb/exhaust, get it right, and you will love your car, get it wrong and you will hate the thing. For a street car, DO NOT go too big on the cam, especially with most stock Eagle gearing.
good luck y'all, gz

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »
Guys thank you for the replies. So I looked into the crower cam and the comp cam, I like both. Do either of you have any video or sound with the engine running I'd like to see how it sounds. Do either have a rough idle? Vangremlin that cam comes in a kit with the lifters?

My car is in the paint shop right now so no video available or possible.  Mine does not have a rough idle.  I don't think mine came with lifters, I think I ordered push rods separately.  I'm very happy with mine.  It's no beast but certainly better than before.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 01:41:27 AM »
Well I'm off to do some research then, again I appreciate all of your replies. Hope everyone had/has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk