News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 06:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing rear case of Transfer case  (Read 3373 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Removing rear case of Transfer case
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »
I've got to replace the gasket between the rear & front case. I lowered it 4-1/2" & got all bolts out except one. Someone in- the- know will know which one. It's all original & the one about 11'o'clock & the opposite side has the bracket for the shift motor. This bolt is round & has raised grooves. I've never seen one before. 11 mm is close & 6 points works better than 12 but they strip. I tried a small vice grips which also strips. The only thing I can do is lower the TC all the way down & use a bigger vice grips. I however love heat in these cases.  I use hand held propane / map gas about 2300 degrees I believe. My question is how much heat can aluminum take from propane etc. & not distort the aluminum.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Removing rear case of Transfer case
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:20:37 PM »
Can't recall what temp the AL warps at but it turns into a puddle @5,000F I recall. 7/16" 12 point should work.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
Do yourself a favor and pull the case out so you can stand it on end when pulling the rear half of the case off. Yes it should be a 12 point 7/16. It's probably Loctited so a little heat will help.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:58 PM »
it will fight all the way off, but is doable with a 7/16 12 pt.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I already tried 7/16 - 12 & it just spun on it. 11 mm is the same as 7/16 & it fit good but it was  a 6 point. I bought a 12 point anyway & of course it spun also. No way do I want to pull the TC out - I'll never get it back in. One back surgery was enough. I actually did this job a few years ago on my other Eagle. I pulled it half-way out & realized I'd never get it back in. That Eagle has a hex. bolt so I know that was worked on before. When it rains it pours. To make matters worse my Gremlin is leaking oil from the pan badly. I think the very first day of cold weather had something to do with it. I just got through tightening 23 bolts of the bolts on it. I'm going out now to start it & see if I at least slowed it down.  That'll  be a major job if I can hold off till Spring.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
I was able to pound some kind of a socket onto it. It fit tight.
Did you see this.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=36885.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:24:26 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
Unless you are just taking off the tailstock, you will have a TON of needle bearings go flying when you undo the case halves.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 06:29:15 PM »
I am in agreement with carnuck. Most likely why a retard stops here bolt was pu on. Unless it is positioned as i did on a bench. You might destroy your case. So best bet pull it use care.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:52:30 PM »
You guys are beginning to scare me. It's been a couple of years since I pulled the rear retainer & rear case on the other Eagle but as I recall the alignment dowels were on the front case & the matching holes on the rear. My intention this time is to leave the rear retainer on (not leaking) & pull it as a unit. I remember I used 2 screwdrivers but didn't really have any problems. But you're right - I don't want to see any needle bearings. Maybe I could force a socket on it but maybe I can also file it down to 3/8 & put an open-end wrench on it.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
I should have taken the advice & pulled the TC & stop all this aggravation. Now one of the bolts holding the shift motor bracket to the Adapter won't come off after a week of trying. I'll have to pull the TC & the Adapter as a one piece unit. I see there are 6 bolts holding the Adapter to the Trans. I've never pulled either before. Is there anything I should be aware of taking it off as a unit rather than just the TC alone. Is it more or less a hollow piece just for aligning the bolt patterns of the two? Will I have to pry the Adapter out of there. I've got a motorcycle jack that should serve as a trans. jack & a patient lift on wheels as an engine hoist so that will help.   
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk