News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 05:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 4wd options  (Read 3547 times)

Offline macho_burrito

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
1984 4wd options
« on: November 08, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »
Hello to everyone.  I'm a new member and the proud owner of my first AMC Eagle.  I've owned a fairly large number of xj cherokees and comanches, but none with vacuum operated anything for the 4wd.  I'm hoping to use this car to get around in this winter here in MN and would really like to have the 4wd working.  The only vacuum harnesses for the 4wd that appear to be present on the vehicle are the one that connects to the transfer case shift actuator and the one that goes to the switch in the dash.  The harness that connects those two together, as well as the one that connects the front axle actuator to that harness are missing.  I guess I'm looking for one of three things if anyone can help. Either a source to purchase the missing harnesses (a pipe dream, I know), a diagram of the vacuum system that is a little clearer as far as what lines go to and from what ports that the actators and to where, or a way to rig the system so that is full time 4wd (snow is coming soon). Thanks in advance. -Blake

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: 1984 4wd options
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »
Is your front axle a disconnnect or non disconnect axle? The Disconnect will have a "box" on the right axle tube with a vacuum motor aka switch mounted on it. I might have the stuff I took off of my car, but I had a non disconnect axle. You can just put the transfer case into 4wd using a 9/16" wrench and if a disconnect axle, you can lock the front axle using a hose clamp. You can drive the Eagle in 4wd fulltime. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38294.msg309962#msg309962
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline macho_burrito

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
Good information to have.  This is a disconnect front axle, and all the vacuum lines that go to the actuator are gone, so this looks like a great option.  In the long term, I think it's inevitable that the AX15/NP231 combo I have sitting on the floor are going to end up in this car, but for now I just want to get it up and going.  It's been sitting for about three years, but I got it to fire up without too much hassle (starter, battery cables, solenoid, fuel filter new gas, plugs, cap, and rotor).  Thanks for the help.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
'84 will have NP129 tcase, same as '84-'86 XJs with 2.5 or 2.8 and auto trans. You have 3 lines on the tcase shift motor and once the front axle is engaged, you can put vacuum directly to the middle port, plug the one closest to the linkage off and run a return line from the third  port on the end of the vacuum "motor" back into the dash switch.

Dash switch is dead simple. 3 lines in. Middle is vacuum supply from the motor through a vacuum reservoir ball. The other 2 go to the 2 lines on the tcase vacuum "motor". Vacuum to the port in the middle engages 4x4. Vacuum to the front engages 2wd. Do not hook vacuum to both at the same time or it will get "centered" in a false neutral and burn up the viscous coupler (eventually).

http://wagoneers.com/JEEPS/tech/TRANSFER-CASES/NP229/NP229-controls.jpg for the "proper" vacuum axle diagram. Total rubbish if you ask me due to hoses breaking, etc then the tcase engaging and front axle not, so you apply gas and blow  the tcase in short order.

NP229 is the same tcase as NP129 except it has low range. NP128 and NP228 will also interchange and don't have an expensive viscous coupler to blow.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk