News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spewing oil everywhere  (Read 4049 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Spewing oil everywhere
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
I just got stopped by state patrol telling me I'm losing oil. Low and behold I take it to the next exit and my engine compartment is full of oil again. I changed the oil last night and it was full before I left!

I teed off both PCV lines before this started happening so I decided to put the breather cap back on. This more than likely won't fix things but at least it will let the engine breathe. Any idea what's wrong?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Spewing oil everywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Teed off both pcv lines? As in blocked them off completely? That would cause one heck of a mess.....
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
There needs to be one line going in and one line coming out for the motor to breath. Plastic cover still? It may be cracked. (I have an Aluminum one to put on mine yet) If one or the other line is missing/plugged off, the oil will fly because blowby builds up in the motor.
   Make sure the PCV line is clear (if you have a solenoid in the hose, remove it and put a new hose on) The other one should be an open breather line to the aircleaner. If you still have oil flying around, the valve cover may be clogged underneath. (check all your pushrods are moving correctly while it's off)
   What oil are you running? I switched to 15W50 Napa synthetic and cut the consumption by half. (almost zero exhaust smoke too) It ran well before that (no miss)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
The only things that seem to fail suddenly are the oil pressure switch and the oil filter. It's not uncommon to have an oil filter gasket stick to the block and cause oil to spew out. I've had two switches go on me as well, which is wonderful because they leak directly on the exhaust.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk