News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:47:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aluminum Radiator and Flex Fan  (Read 12547 times)

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Aluminum Radiator and Flex Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »
The thermal fan clutches actually work better and reduce the drag on the engine significantly more then a flex fan.  Only draw back is when they fail.  However, they are made fairly well and can go many years/miles before failure.  When they do fail it isn't catastrophic.  Flex fans are not well balanced and their balance will change over time as the miles pile up.  I've seen the aftermath more than once from when a flex fan vibrates loose and get ejected.  Never know which direction it will travel in either.  One I saw went straight up and made it most of the way through the hood before stopping.  For these reasons I avoid flex fans.  Food for thought.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Aluminum Radiator and Flex Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
My old thermal failed in the way it was in full swing.  The bearings fell out of it basically, so it was never in slow motion.  I've personally always used flex fans on my chevelle's and older trucks and never had one fail.  I did have a thermal fan fail in my 66' chevelle station wagon and one of the blades managed to put a nice hole in the hood  :-[  That was why it got the flex treatment as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk