News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto trans check  (Read 5089 times)

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Auto trans check
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
The owner's manual has a vague line drawing of where to check the auto trans fluid.  It is useless.  Can someone tell me more specifically where the dipstick is located (is there a dipstick?)  I'm embarrassed to even ask the question, but if anyone would understand, it's you all.  :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Auto trans check
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
The trans stick is behind the motor on the passenger's side, right about even with the firewall and often hiding in the wiring/vacuum harnesses hanging down.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
What he said. Usually I have to be on the passenger fender leaning forward enough to see the dipstick under the mess of tubes and wires. This is crap. I'm going to be so happy when I redo all these lines. Then again, the level of organization in these cars changes every year they made them. 1980 probably being the cleanest. If you don't have a transmission dipstick tube or some kind of cap, identify your transmission, go to a transmission shop and get the right dipstick and tube for it. I spent $20 getting a new set when I needed it.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I found it.  I feel like an idiot.  If it were any more obvious it would have slapped me in the face.  I put a red shrink tube sleeve on the handle foe easier visibility :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I found it.  I feel like an idiot.  If it were any more obvious it would have slapped me in the face.  I put a red shrink tube sleeve on the handle foe easier visibility :amc:

Not a bad idea. They're hard to find even when you're absolutely sure where they're supposed to be. That's why some manufacturers have all the bright fill points on their cars now.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
Mine has the stick and tube from a Grand Cherokee going in it. I tried to find the Dodge van 727 tube and stick I had, but it appears to have wandered off.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk