News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hey!! I haven't seen one of those in years!! It's a..........right?  (Read 20866 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Now that we've had some road time with the SX/4, I get this claimed and asked many times through out my(our) travels. So here's a short list of the claims I've heard, some are kinda funny.

Chevette!!-  :rotfl: Have heard this quite a bit.

Pinto!!- Yup someone went there, she asked her bf, "was that a lifted Pinto?" bf responded, "no that's Shaggy with the Eagle" lol (coworker).

Vega/Monza- Just another confused gent....

Spirit- Young gal, former amc spirit owner, tracked me down at a carshow to ask me if I would sell it, lol, turns out she is a friend of Eaglegirls (she wasn't with me at the time, I snuck her car out to a cruise in while she was shopping, :hiding:)

Gremlin- at least they knew it was an AMC and had the right size car in mind, lol. We hear this the most out of any.

Hornet- Not just any hornet, guy walks up, "Wow, this is just like the one they used on that James Bond movie!!" I almost hated to tell him that it wasn't...

Javelin- Had to take that as a complement.....

Pacer- Yup even asked where the flames and licorice dispenser were,  :rotfl: (I got a kick out of that one).

AMX- We went out to dinner, the manger of the restaurant was outside as we pulled in, literally ran over to ask about the AMX, lol, we got very good service at the restaurant that night too, maybe coincidence??

Everynow and again I do meet someone that knows what the car is by its proper name, lol, either they had one or knew someone that did. The one that stands out in my mind most though, is when I was at a little gas station in the southern tier of NY. I was pumping away, when I heard a shriek of sorts from across the street, followed by a stream of obscenities proclaiming it's a  :censored: :censored: AMC :censored: :censored: EAGLE!!! I couldn't say say a thing to that, so it was just a laugh and wave moment, hahaha.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
Re: Hey!! I haven't seen one of those in years!! It's a..........right?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
with the spirit i used to get gremlin alot, or "waynes world car". some people said it was "one of those 4 wheel drive things". one guy asked me what it was with no idea, and after i explained, he says, "so, that things like a cross between a vega and a pinto then?" "sure.  ::) "

your last one is awesome tho
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
I've gotten Gremlin a couple times myself. At least they have the right manufacturer. During the Rambler Ranch meet I went to a few years ago, a bunch of us pulled into a breakfast joint. Next door was a shop where they make statues out of logs with a chain saw. We went to check it out and the guy told us he said to his coworker, " Holy cow, look at all those Eagles!" He said she looked to the sky and said, "Where?" She said she didn't notice all the cars in the parking lot were the same model until he brought it to here attention.   ???
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
I heard a shriek of sorts from across the street, followed by a stream of obscenities proclaiming it's a  :censored: :censored: AMC :censored: :censored: EAGLE!!!
 :rotfl: That's awesome.  :)

I've had a few of such instances like this, I turn head all of the time with my Eagles.  It's a LOT of fun, I enjoy it so much as I'm sure you do too.

So keep Eaglin' and turnin' those heads man.  ;)
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
It's kind of funny, this car does the exact opposite of what I thought it would. When I first brought it home and started fixing it up, I figured it will be a great car to fly below the radar with, slip around without being noticed, lol. I couldn't have been further from wrong, haha, at least it's all positive so far.

On another confused note: A friend of mine has a Marlin, he was at a car show a while back, had a guy walk up to it, look it all over, and say to him "I've never seen a fastback Malibu before"  :rotfl:.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
It's kind of funny, this car does the exact opposite of what I thought it would. When I first brought it home and started fixing it up, I figured it will be a great car to fly below the radar with, slip around without being noticed, lol. I couldn't have been further from wrong, haha, at least it's all positive so far.

On another confused note: A friend of mine has a Marlin, he was at a car show a while back, had a guy walk up to it, look it all over, and say to him "I've never seen a fastback Malibu before"  :rotfl:.
LOL... Coincidentally... My dad owns a Marlin as well, and had THE SAME comment said to him!  ::) LOL
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
 :rotfl: aparently it's the 327 engine along with the script used that throws people off, haha.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
when I went to  a junk yard the other day i asked the guy to see the eagle they had...he said we actuaally have 5 of them....I though "jackpot" but my bubble was soon popped when i saw 3 talons a premeire and a summit...not quite what i had in mind...the one i was actually there to look at had been crushed.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »
Interesting reactions. 

Shane you actually saw a Premiere?  I don't think I ever saw one of those when they were new. 

I had some good reactions to eagles this last week. 

1.  One of the classes I am course assisting (kind of like student teaching) is doing a unit on buying a car.  We gave the students some options on cars they can mock purchase.  We gave them a few options for first cars (all of our first cars - 3 adults in the room). 
They had choices of generic: Pickup, Sedan, Economy car and convertible.  Then came the free choices our first cars (so the eagle wasn't my first - so what...
A.  1984 Chevy Cavalier (Teacher's 1st car - no reactions)
B.  71 Chevy Nova (para's first car - no reactions)
C.  AMC Eagle (showed them an SX/4 and a Wagon)
Here's the reactions to the Eagle...
Teacher: "That looks a lot like my old Cavalier (SX/4)"
Students: "So it's like a wagon right?"
"No it's a Jeep genius"
"That's 4 wheel drive?!?!" (wagon)

I couldn't help, but laugh.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
Earlier today Morgan and I arrived at my gym.  As we were getting out the car a few spaces down a guy got out of his.  He glanced over and nodded at me and turned toward the door.  Then he did a double take and walked up to the passenger fender of the Eagle, he stared at it a second and nodded. 

Then he turned to me and said, "Nice car.  I remember those when they were new.  AMC was ahead of it's time on that."

I thanked him and mentioned I've put a lot of work into it.  He responded, "Nice touch with the wheels; the way they should have been."  Then I pointed out the "Eagle" script stickers.  He said, "Nice!" and went about his way. 

Have to love reactions like that.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:41 AM »
At lunch the other day, guys were sharing what they're doing for the weekend.  My turn came and I said, "work on my Eagle".  My supervisor said, "think you should lower the car some".  I go, "What?  why would I do that?  I like it where it is"  

He goes, "Nahhh, put it back to where it was"

I go, "that IS where it was.  That's the factory ride height.  I didn't lift it"

Supervisor says, "A buddy of mine had one, and they were not lifted like that, I'm sure of it".

I actually really like him, and he's pretty smart, but I think he's thinking of a concord.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
I can see how a concord and an Eagle could get confused (of course not the Chrysler concord).

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »
I can see how a concord and an Eagle could get confused (of course not the Chrysler concord).
a former coworker of mine had one of those chrysler concords and i made her mad when i told here that it wasn't a real concord in my opinion.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
At about every cruise-in or car show I hear about how AMC cobbled parts from the other manufacturers for their cars.  It's like the AMC guys in charge of purchasing parts were just driving a truck from the Chrysler, GM and Ford warehouses looking for whatever was laying around and wasn't used.  I've also heard that the 6-cyl AMC engine was made by GM, the 360 is a Chrysler engine, the AMC Concord and Eagle were the basis for the Chrysler Concord and Eagle cars, the AMC 327 is the same as the Chevy 327, etc.   I had one avid chevy guy look at my 64 Classic and ask when I was gonna drop a Chevy 350 in it and I told him emphatically NEVER!  He wasn't too happy with that response.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
At about every cruise-in or car show I hear about how AMC cobbled parts from the other manufacturers for their cars.  It's like the AMC guys in charge of purchasing parts were just driving a truck from the Chrysler, GM and Ford warehouses looking for whatever was laying around and wasn't used.  I've also heard that the 6-cyl AMC engine was made by GM, the 360 is a Chrysler engine, the AMC Concord and Eagle were the basis for the Chrysler Concord and Eagle cars, the AMC 327 is the same as the Chevy 327, etc.   I had one avid chevy guy look at my 64 Classic and ask when I was gonna drop a Chevy 350 in it and I told him emphatically NEVER!  He wasn't too happy with that response.

My uncle told me something similar.  He said AMC bought the rejected motors from other manufacturers that the assembly line said were substandard.  The 327 was chevy motor, the 390 a Ford, and so on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk