News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 10:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So many junkyard eagles....  (Read 10672 times)

80eagle

So many junkyard eagles....
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:40 PM »
So there is this junkyard I go to and they always seem to have 2 or 3 eagles. They crush cars on a weekly basis. The junkyard is divided into two halves: whole cars for sale, and cars you can pull parts from. They don't let you buy cars from the parts side. Sadly, the eagles are always on the parts side. I tried buying one from them, but they refused. It looked like it was in good shape before it came in there, too. Had a recent registration inside. Also, there was one in there that the engine appeared to have been recently rebuilt in.  :(
What the  :censored:'s wrong with people?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: So many junkyard eagles....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »
They don't care what kind of car it is.  That's their problem.  

Even if you offered them enough money so they'd be ahead by having the car picked and then sold for scrap, You'd think they'd go for it, right?

So would I.  I thought every business was looking to get ahead, but I guess not. 

They have stupid policies.

80eagle

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I guess you just have to catch them before they can, and offer the owner more than the junkyard would. If only I had the money...

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
Pretty much, or just drive around with a towtruck, and say, "want me to haul that away?"  and when they ask, "how much?"  just say for 'free'.

Ya never know... you just might get a free eagle.  People think they're getting a good deal having their old car hauled away for Nothing, but you don't have to tell them you're gonna keep it...  >:D

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »
Don't even get me started on this subject.  >:(

I've managed to save two from the yard... but for every one that gets saved, dozens don't.  :'(
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
There actually is a legality issue with it. I'm not sure what it's like in the states, but I had to do something like that with an old car.. I had to buy the car in 'pieces'.

A lot of the part's cars dont have proper registration, or aren't switched over to the yard ownership.
Also apparently here, once a car has been deemed as scrap, it can't be re-registered, so I've been told.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
A friend of mine is good friends with the owner of a junkyard. I had my friend ask him if he had any Eagles. He said, "No, something like that goes straight to the crusher. It's not worth my time."  :censored:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »
There actually is a legality issue with it. I'm not sure what it's like in the states, but I had to do something like that with an old car.. I had to buy the car in 'pieces'.

A lot of the part's cars dont have proper registration, or aren't switched over to the yard ownership.
Also apparently here, once a car has been deemed as scrap, it can't be re-registered, so I've been told.

Yes, I think that's the real reason cars that are in the yard aren't available is because of legal reasons.  I see a lot of Eagles that end up in the junkyard and wonder why, but even if I had the opportunity to buy them I have no space - we need a Rocky Mountain Eagle Sanctuary!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
Very very sad. I am going to call around to the 'Pull It' yards tomorrow and see if they have any. At LEAST we can save some parts from the Eagles, IF we catch them in time.

After getting the compliments today at the car show I was at, one guy said, "I need to look into finding me one of these as a project."
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »

Ok, well unfortunately that's stupid (what happened to recycling?) but I understand that.

But there is nothing stopping someone from intercepting a derelict car from getting to the junkyard...  There's no law against that.  If I show up at someone's house, and say, "hey I'll tow your car away for free"

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »

But there is nothing stopping someone from intercepting a derelict car from getting to the junkyard...  There's no law against that.  If I show up at someone's house, and say, "hey I'll tow your car away for free"

Maybe put an ad on Craigslist - "I"ll tow your Eagle away for free"
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
It would be interesting if you can post nationwide on craigslist? www.allofcraigs.com

Post and refer them to teh website for local Eagle owners/buyers, etc. That would be a great concept!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
Post and refer them to the website for local Eagle owners/buyers, etc. That would be a great concept!

Maybe that will become the next logical step from Sanctuaries.  Actual Nation wide adverts and/or Search and Rescues.

Problem is, everyone will want something for it.  Even though we would be providing a service, they'd still want something for the car.

some would be pretty good about it.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 01:31:11 AM »
I know the feeling....There was a near cherry limited in a pull n pay near me...I almost felt bad taking parts off cuz it looked so nice!!! They refused to sell the whole thing....The guy told me to buy all the removeable body parts...then offer to buy the shell...wink,wink....so its possible to smuggle one out of there but for what it would cost I could probably have a fully assemballed running one with a title....Ill tell ya what though I would have gone to that extreme and beyond for that turbo diesel that was supposedly sighted in a california junkyard.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »

Ok, well unfortunately that's stupid (what happened to recycling?) but I understand that.

Yeah. It is stupid, but I'm sure there's some reason for it. There is/was a classic car junkyard here, that had a few cars that were easy restores.. and the owner used to get offers all the time for them, but he couldn't sell them..

There's actually a few people who throw up ads on kijiji here that say "If you have a car made before 197X.. call us before a scrap yard."

I actually want to swing by there and see if they've still got anything left.. but it's a few hours from here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk