News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 02:23:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine sputtering from intake manifold gasket?  (Read 2414 times)

amceagledude

engine sputtering from intake manifold gasket?
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »
hello all,
i have an 86 eagle and it wants to sputter when i excelerate. it happens after about 15 minutes of driving. it will die while driving at least once a day after about 30 minutes of driving. i had the carb rebuilt and the mechanics said the intake and exaust manifold gasket is what needs replaced. i asked another mechanic and he thinks it might be a combination of the gaskets and the coil underneath the distributer cap with the vacuum line, i think its called the "hall effect sensor".  i disconnected the vacuum line and plugged it up to see if it would still die after a 30 minute drive and it died. also when it dies it starts right back up again. the fuel filter is 9 months old as well as the spark plugs, wires, and cap. i would love some advice! cant deal with this thing dying on me it's getting dangerous! thanks

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: engine sputtering from intake manifold gasket?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »
You might try tightening the bolts on the manifolds, they have a way of getting themselves loose.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk