News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swapping 998 for T4 with two 84 wagons. Advice?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline statonbg

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Swapping 998 for T4 with two 84 wagons. Advice?
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
So after my back hinges broke it made sense that I needed a parts car. I picked up a 1984 wagon with 200k miles and a T4 for cheap. I'd like to put this in my other 1984 wagon which has a tired 998 with reverse failing but only 96k miles! Just looking for general advice or areas of this process to be aware of, general unforeseen hangups or if anyone knows a similar thread on here.

It is sounding like removing the 998 is almost the most difficult part of the process. I also understand there may be some confusion with the crossmember? I don't hate the 998, and I didn't exactly love the T4 either when I drove it home, so I'm considering if this would actually be a better course of action than rebuilding my 998.

In general I am amazed at the differences in trim packages. My good wagon is the sport package and the parts wagon is not. I like the sports package much better. I'm going to get alot of small odds and ends from the parts car and have to part out the rest. My friend went in with me on the eagle and he's taking the motor to complete a matching year number jeep scrambler so I will likely be posting on here if anyone wants a roller from Utah or have to part it out via ebay/forums/craiglist etc.

'd appreciate if you guys could let me know if you think I'd be going down a rabbit hole with this swap or it'd be a pretty straightforward upgrade. thanks in advance :blob1:

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Swapping 998 for T4 with two 84 wagons. Advice?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
I don't know much about the T4 other than have heard stories about the linkage or something along those lines breaking all the time when people try to ram it into reverse.  People prefer the T5 but that's not what you have lol.

Thanks for the pictures, it's very cool to see two Eagles side by side!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
Cross member is different between the 2.

Manitowoc WI

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
I hear the clutch bleeding can be a bear, also I would check the axle ratios not sure if manual and automatic were different

Offline statonbg

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »
Oh wow, that write up is exactly what I needed thanks so much.

I’m going to spend some time with the girls this weekend  :eagle: :eagle:

I need to scrub and read those axle codes and check on a lot of things. Just doing my due diligence here to make sure I’m not butchering two running eagles for nothing, lol.

I’ll post some more pics soon of my project! Thanks again guys, anyone done the t4 swap or drive a t4 eagle? It’s too bad it wasn’t a T5 but it is the first manual eagle I’ve ever seen for sale.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »
I did the sr4 swap on an eagle. It was straight forward.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
Something to emphasize from the write up, flex plate bolts are different from flywheel bolts.  Use the proper ones for your application and DON'T mix the two. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline statonbg

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
Copy that, different bolts! Thanks for all the info. Looking like it's pretty doable and since I have two wagons hopefully it won't be too bad!

I may just source a T5 and put it in or try the T4 for awhile and upgrade later.

:occasion14:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk