News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 02:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1980 2 Door Sedan - What have I gotten myself into ??!!  (Read 25726 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: 1980 2 Door Sedan - What have I gotten myself into ??!!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:02:22 PM »
X2 what Rollguy and priya said.  I would not bother with ever putting a vinyl roof back on.  They can look cool, but the downside is going thru all that rot repair again. 

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »
X2 what Rollguy and priya said.  I would not bother with ever putting a vinyl roof back on.  They can look cool, but the downside is going thru all that rot repair again. 

Isn't that why we own Eagles? For the rot repair? Hehe.. No seriously, point taken. Hard to ignore the profound logic in the comments above.
Huge RUSH fan myself...... I'm sure you have seen the Documentary.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon
1980 Eagle Sedan (2 door sport)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
LOLOL, Yup, I think that is why.  Wer're all bodymen (and women) in training.

Well, I'll have to egg ya for being a Rush fan (saw the doc several times, I recorded it! he he he) and for saving this car - If I haven't already egg'd ya for it yet.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »
D'OH !! Guess I'm looking for a new hinge ...
I guess I could get a friend to build up with weld and drill out again... *shrug..

FRIST EGG !!!! Booya!. ")
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Oooly crap!   That is some serious wear.  Yup, yer looking for hinges.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
I gave you a "real" EGG for sharing with us a great shot of a worn hinge.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »
A new vinyl top is not all that expensive... depending on where ya go of course. But as some of the other members have stated, they are a breeding ground for rust!! I personally think they look more sporty without the vinyl top. A good alternative to the vinyl is Rhino Liner. I have used it on several cars. It comes in all kinds of colors and its tough and cost effective. Good luck on your bird!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Tops are $129 on auction if you want to do it yourself. The vinyl itself was never a problem, just poor design when it comes to sealing around the emblems, opera window, and trim. Shops do it diffferently now with no issues. I think they look funky on every one I've seen where they just painted the roof.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
Tops are $129 on auction if you want to do it yourself. The vinyl itself was never a problem, just poor design when it comes to sealing around the emblems, opera window, and trim. Shops do it diffferently now with no issues. I think they look funky on every one I've seen where they just painted the roof.

That is a very interesting perspective and option. Thank you! I will definitely check that out. Save the multiple days of smearing adhesive remover on 30 year old glue. heheh...

pm'd you.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »

That is a very interesting perspective and option. Thank you! I will definitely check that out. Save the multiple days of smearing adhesive remover on 30 year old glue. heheh...

pm'd you.

I think you're going to have to spend those multiple days even if you choose to put a vinyl roof back on.  The uneven adhesive will likely be visible through the vinyl unless you remove it, but you could ask a body shop that does a lot of vinyl roofs if they think it will show through.  I also wouldn't hold my breath thinking any one can install a vinyl roof that doesn't let water through regardless of how hard they try.

Offline ynwa

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 1980 2 Door Sedan - Carb leaking fuel at
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
I wanted to keep this in my resto thread to list all the pain. hehe..
Just rebuilt carb noticed that fuel is leaking out the throttle body on the linkage side when I pump gas in the chamber.

I hope this gets a few reads and someone can tell me what the best case scenario is. Sure not interested in a new carb since I just rebuilt it. hehe...
Oh well, should be a cheap donor out there somewhere.. I guess I'm looking at a majorly worn throttle body shaft.

Best fix here?

Cheers.
1975 J20 Pick up
1983 Eagle Wagon

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
If you can find the part number of the shaft then there might be other carbs that shared that shaft. I know that someone who sells carbs on auction mentions that rebuild kits don't address this issue. If you could find or make a washer just the right size and then find a fuel resistent epoxy or something then that might work. I would try to find brass ones or another soft metal so as not to wear on the shaft further. That is the only thing I can think of but Mudkicker might have some good ideas.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
i think as far as the carb goes i would just upgrade to the popular MC 2100 ...... I have heard lots of good things about that conversion
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »
No epoxy that will work for long. Best I can offer without hands on is.

The throttle body is aluminum. Tension and rotation can wear that hole out, or out of round. If you visibly see it leaking at idle. Than best guess its wore out and poses a fire risk. Otherwise.  Try using an unlit torch (for leak detection if a leak it will idle up). But all a guess on a little bit of description....... and the assumption its not a gasket. Or you damaged it putting it on.

I use propane for leak detection as why put a flammable liquid on hot exaust parts. Propane flys away and is less messy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:03:59 AM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 03:32:46 AM »
Thats gonna be one sharp lookin car when your done. Rust can be so overwelming, especially in those areas. Eggs for stickin with it!!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk