News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 02:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Deerslayer  (Read 3315 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Project Deerslayer
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
I brought this over from my topic thread at the AMC Eagle EVO forum.

OK time to start a new project thread.  Starting to bring the SX/4, the deer slayer, back to life.  First power washing done.  The next will be with soap.  Next, the rear brakes.

The first thing I wanted to do is rebuild the back brakes with new lines (they were rotten), new wheel cylinders and shoes.  I knew that all the rest was good as I had done a brake job not that many miles ago before the lines went bad.  But I neglected to change out the wheel cylinders.  One did "blow", so I knew it was time to do that too.

Right wheel off.  Soaking with PB Blaster before even thinking about trying to remove the drum.

The Drum was a pain to get off. But, finally, success! The wheel cylinder was full of rust and crud and the pistons were frozen in place.

31 years of nasty on the outside of that wheel cylinder.

And, 31 years of nasty on the inside.

Fresh new wheel cylinder

Degreased and black paint applied. Picked up a stick of brake line to start the replumbing process and then install some fresh new parts.

Cleaning up the brake cylinder push rods (AMC called them links) Clean on the right, not cleaned yet on the left.

Made a new line from the wheel cylinder to the flex hose "T". For such a short line it took a lot of trial fitting to get the last bend to the "T" right.

Brake line installed.

Brakes are done on the passenger side. New parts were the line from the "T" to the wheel cylinder, new wheel cylinder and new linings. I reused everything else after cleaning and inspecting. I had renewed all of the hardware not that many miles ago until the wheel cylinder blew. I also applied brake grease to a moveable parts and wear points (except the linings of course). Tomorrow I will pressure wash the underside on that side while I have the wheel off and up in the air a bit. Apply some rust stopper and inhibiter and then undercoat. Then on to the driver's side. Retirement is nice so that you can take your time and make sure its done right.

Began the process of taking trim, logos, and such off of the SX/4. Still awaiting for the arrival of my heavy duty drum puller to get the uber stubborn drum off of the left side, so that I can finish the rear brakes. I will be replacing the door paddles with the black wrangler ones, so the old ones can stay on for a while longer.

The right tool for the right job. Heavy Duty Brake Puller made short work of pulling this rust encrusted, frozen drum off. If you get this kind make sure to put a couple of lug nut back on, backed off a bit for your safety. It is all explained in the instructions that come with it.

All of the crap in the drum was what was holding it from coming off with other types of persuasion.

Now it is time to do this side and be done with the brakes (I hope).

A new fuel pump (for the Eagle) deserves new lines as well. The rubber line from the steel tank supply line to the pump was so rotted that it was down to the fabric covering and had collapsed. The pump was only $17 at Advance Auto, and in stock!

Grille area stripped out in preparation for refurbishment. Next, the interior.

New Wrangler 1/2 door handles have arrived.  Appear to be an exact fit and made from steel, not pot metal.  Heavier than the OE ones.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:21:06 PM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Project Deerslayer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
Looking good! :occasion14:
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Thanks.  If the heat dies down maybe I will get off my behind and do some more.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Sanding has started.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:05:06 AM »
Are you keeping it silver? The paint I used with Drocks wagon would look awesome and very close to the original AMC grey/silver SX4 color. It was Rustoleum "Smoke Grey."
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
That is the brand and color I used last time and I thought it was too dark, almost primer like.  So, I pretty sure I am going all black since the body panels are straight.  I only have a couple of areas on the passenger door that have a very small dings.  I repaired a few of those on the drivers side and the repairs have held up well.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
I'm sure it will look nice when it is finished. So will it get garage time with the ambo this winter?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
Started covering windows for some serious sanding a priming.  I will be pulling the drivers side fender off to repair the door hinge attachment area and to rebuild the hinges.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk