News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 08:20:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron Duke Aluminum Valve Cover?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Iron Duke Aluminum Valve Cover?
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
I've been searching around for a valve cover that'll replace my leaky plastic one, and I haven't found anything conclusive. I saw that something from a CJ7 should work. Every time I search for it on AutoZone or Advance Auto, or any of those types of places, I get results for a Chevy small block... Is that going to be the right size?

I've been on collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net, www.bulltear.com, and www.quadratec.com as well, but everything I see is for the V8, is plastic, or just isn't for the I4 2.5L...

Anyone have ideas?
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Iron Duke Aluminum Valve Cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
I didn't realize the Iron Duke used a plastic cover.  Its a Pontiac engine so try looking in that direction.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »
I have never seen a duke with a plastic cover either, the stamping has a plasticish look to it.  take a magnit and see if it sticks
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
Well dang. You guys are right. I had a 258 that had problems with it leaking, so I assumed it was the same issue. Would this be a problem with it being warped, or is it more likely that I just did a terrible job putting it back on? If it is warped, what do I do with that?

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
the most likely cause of your leakage is the mounting flange on the valve cover isn't flat.  take a ball peen hammer and give it a tap where the bolts go with the valve cover upside down
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
I replaced the valve cover gasket with a rubber one and tried to hammer the thing as straight as possible. The cork one was shot, so it was no surprise that it was leaking. Everything is sealed up and working fine. Thanks for the help. Now for the leaky radiator...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk