News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 04:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Eagles: Question.  (Read 2246 times)

Offline tootallthrall

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
New to Eagles: Question.
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
Howdy. I didn't even know these cars existed until a couple months ago and I've been pretty interested in getting one ever since (specifically a SX/4). I have question though. I've never sat in one and I am wondering how well I would fit in it since they look quite small in pictures. (I am 6'3" btw). Thanks!

Online Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: New to Eagles: Question.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:04:01 PM »
IF you've ever been in an AMC Concord or Hornet (even Gremlin), basically the same thing inside.
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:36:52 PM »
hi, and welcome.  I'm 6'2", and I fit into the Eagle, or Spirit, just fine. good luck, gz

Offline tootallthrall

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »
hi, and welcome.  I'm 6'2", and I fit into the Eagle, or Spirit, just fine. good luck, gz

Awesome. Now I've just got to find one near me. Which seems to be no easy task lol.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
Not sure where you are located, but here is a decent one near Leadville CO, with all four end caps.  It seems like there is more traffic over on the Eagle Den Facebook page, so you may also want to sign up over there.  Good luck!

https://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/d/dearing-1983-amc-eagle-sx-4/7036166486.html
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline tootallthrall

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
Not sure where you are located, but here is a decent one near Leadville CO, with all four end caps.  It seems like there is more traffic over on the Eagle Den Facebook page, so you may also want to sign up over there.  Good luck!

https://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/d/dearing-1983-amc-eagle-sx-4/7036166486.html

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the significance of having all four end caps (and what are they lol). I'd love to join the Facebook group but I deleted mine a long time ago and have no desire to make another. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
The Eagles came with rubber-ish end caps on the ends of the bumpers.  Many of them have fallen apart or been destroyed over the years.  No new end caps are available, so you are left trying to find used ones.  The front end caps for models 81+ are all the same.  Rear end caps for SX/4's are unique and extremely difficult to find.  So if you find a car that has them that is a big bonus!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline tootallthrall

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 01:15:34 AM »
The Eagles came with rubber-ish end caps on the ends of the bumpers.  Many of them have fallen apart or been destroyed over the years.  No new end caps are available, so you are left trying to find used ones.  The front end caps for models 81+ are all the same.  Rear end caps for SX/4's are unique and extremely difficult to find.  So if you find a car that has them that is a big bonus!

Gotcha. Thanks for the info! That Colorado car looks really clean and is for a good price, but I am looking for a manual. Unfortunately, it is an auto.

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
I too insisted on a 5-speed when I started looking for an Eagle.  It took me a couple of years of daily online searches (Ebay, Craigslist aggregators, etc).  I bid on a couple of ratty ones during that time, but dropped out when they got over $3000.  Then one day, there it was: a good-looking '84 Sport wagon with the 5-speed, being used on a farm in Idaho, with a 'Buy It Now' price of $1000!  I've never clicked on a button so fast in my life.  Then it took another $1100 (and many gray hairs) to have some interstate shipping pirates deliver it to me in Sugar Land.

I'm glad I held out for a 5-speed.  Not only is it much more fun to shift 'em yourself, the tranny is probably the only part on the car that has been absolutely bulletproof, with no maintenance required other than filling it with Royal Purple when I got it.

Good luck with the search...
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline tootallthrall

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
I too insisted on a 5-speed when I started looking for an Eagle.  It took me a couple of years of daily online searches (Ebay, Craigslist aggregators, etc).  I bid on a couple of ratty ones during that time, but dropped out when they got over $3000.  Then one day, there it was: a good-looking '84 Sport wagon with the 5-speed, being used on a farm in Idaho, with a 'Buy It Now' price of $1000!  I've never clicked on a button so fast in my life.  Then it took another $1100 (and many gray hairs) to have some interstate shipping pirates deliver it to me in Sugar Land.

I'm glad I held out for a 5-speed.  Not only is it much more fun to shift 'em yourself, the tranny is probably the only part on the car that has been absolutely bulletproof, with no maintenance required other than filling it with Royal Purple when I got it.

Good luck with the search...
JB

Wow! I hope I don't have to wait a couple years to get my hands on an Eagle, but if thats what it takes so be it I guess. I bought a '04 GTO last year that was an auto and I've pretty much regretted not waiting for a manual ever since. It's a fun car but like you said theres something about running through the gears that can't be matched in an auto. I won't make the same mistake again haha. Thanks for the advice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk