News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very cool Wagoneer prototype  (Read 13369 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Very cool Wagoneer prototype
« on: December 24, 2012, 01:59:29 AM »
I always loved the looks of the old big body Wagoneers and cherokee's.  Many people were happy to see them go in 1991 after looking at the same sheet metal for its entire 29 year run...Not me though, I think they were one of the most handsome SUV's ever made. chrysler did a pretty good job...for the most part...of capturing many of the Wagoneer and Cherokee Chief's styling cues in these concept vehicles. The Cherokee Chief would certainly need the huge chief's head badge and wide native american pattern pinstripe to make it look official though...Still, not bad. Too bad they probably wont ever produce them.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:15:08 AM by shanebo »
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Very cool Wagoneer prototype
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »
very cool looking.  Thanks for sharing.

And I'm loving Shanebo's new photo - nothing like some Bangles on a Manic Monday!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »
Hey that's how it's supposed to be made.

• Low cost materials
• Strong guts
• Good looking body and features
• Continues the classic AMC/Jeep heritage.

I approve. :occasion14:
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
Thumbs up!  My first Jeep was a 1974 Cherokee, and I really liked it.  The retro styling, and modern drivetrain would make a great selling vehicle.  Bringing back the style of the popular cars of the past has been the thing to do lately.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
I had an '83 full-size Cherokee. I became frustrated  :banghead: with it because 1) it sprang more leaks than an old dike 2) I couldn't get more than 13 mpg out of it regardless of how gently I drove it 3) I had multiple problems with door latches and the tailgate glass mechanism and repair parts were EXPENSIVE...so I traded it on what turned out to be a pile of junk chubby blazer that got only 12 mpg. I now regret that move, and when a 2000 'kee became available to me I snapped it up.

It seems to me that Chrysler could not even think about producing this "concept"...that has been tried and proven...until they have some idea of where the government is going with fuel economy standards and demands for alternative-fuel vehicles. The solution could be Diesel power...and one would think Chrysler, with its Dodge/Cummins success, has the marketing know-how to pull it off.

That thing, Shanebo, is way too cool. When Chrysler came out with the Commander it was said they wanted the look of the Hummer. Why on earth I have no clue...and now both GM and Chrysler have discontinued them. I have to wonder where a retro-rig like that one could take Chrysler...  :hello2::eagle:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:01:39 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
I'm really digging the wood paneling and turbine rims too.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Those pictures have been floating around at least 4 years if not more. They aren't prototypes, just someone playing with Photoshop. Those are Jeep Commanders that Jeep stopped producing in 2010, so there definitely won't be anything like those made.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
I had a couple of the full size Grand Wagoneers.  I loved them.  There is more to life than gas mileage.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
I had a couple of the full size Grand Wagoneers.  I loved them.  There is more to life than gas mileage.
Under most circumstances I agree. Even when I was single and in college I always had gas in the tank...and I always filled it up when I went to the gas station. At the time I had the FSJ I had just started a new job after 15 years of self-employment. I had a mortgage and a family, so finances were tight. Now, the kids are out on their own and the mortgage is nearly paid off. I wish I was a little more far-sighted when I had that FSJ. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
I like the looks of those.  I would drive one.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
I'll go for the 2dr Cherokee version, with a Golden Eagle paint scheme, please.  :occasion14: Hemi with Quadratrac and lifted to fit 33's. MMMMmmm.

No, then my '79 would get jealous and start spontaneously falling apart.(it already does, but it'd get worse)
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
Any of you guys remember an episode of.....I think it was Trucks, on Speed network, when they dropped an old school grand wagoneer body on a late model durango chasis with a hemi powered drive train. It looked like a pretty direct fit....of course tv has a way of making things look easier than they are....Charles bronson made it look easy to single handedly take out a gang of armed thugs and I probably won't be attempting that anytime soon either.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
There is actually talks going on between Jeep and several of the FSJ guys (especially Wagonmaster) about what it would take to get people into  new GW. Top priorities were a solid front axle and simplicity of design.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
Any of you guys remember an episode of.....I think it was Trucks, on Speed network, when they dropped an old school grand wagoneer body on a late model durango chasis with a hemi powered drive train. It looked like a pretty direct fit....of course tv has a way of making things look easier than they are....Charles bronson made it look easy to single handedly take out a gang of armed thugs and I probably won't be attempting that anytime soon either.

Yea.  I love how the Power Block/Horsepower builds an exotic big block with a super charger in 30 minutes.  The wife then questions why it took some eight months for me to go through a junkyard V-6, swap it into an Oldsmobile, and have the tranny rebuilt.  Ha.  I don't have the space, the shop, or the funds they have on TV...and if I did I still couldn't get it all back together in 30 minutes.   ;D
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
I suppose I liked my full size GWs more than any other vehicle I've had.  I have no confidence whatsoever that any car company can build anything comparable in today's environment.   
When I heard the GW was coming back in 1991(?) I was very excited.  It was a big disappointment to find out it was a downsized model.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk