News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:41:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Injection swap, engine sputtering/dying when warm  (Read 2603 times)

Offline maroon1872

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Fuel Injection swap, engine sputtering/dying when warm
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
First post, sorry if it isn't in the right place.

I have a 1987 wagon with the 258 that I did a 4.0 head and camshaft swap as well as OBD1 fuel injection, also note I have the hesco crank position sensor kit on the harmonic balancer. I have it running and driving but when the engine gets warm after about 15 minutes, the engine goes from running smooth and strong to missing firing sporadically and it eventually stalls out. I thought it was the fuel boiling over in the new efi fuel line which was resting on the valve cover... unlikely I know, but I put a cooler thermostat in just to be sure, same misfires though... I am going to check the crank sensor spacing next, I think when it heats up the bracket expands from the heat and the spacing is just on the nose and it misses injection pulses. Going to try to re-set the spacing on the bracket next, just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Also I am not pulling enough vacuum for the brake booster (13" Hg at 6000 ft above sea level) with the new setup.. no vac leaks I am positive, thing runs like a champ until it is warmed up. New booster and master cyl replaced last year, garaged, no harsh conditions. I put the equal length intake manifold on from a 00 cherokee, not sure if that matters. I am considering aux vacuum pump or going hydroboost, any inputs greatly appreciated.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Fuel Injection swap, engine sputtering/dying when warm
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
It's my understanding that you won't be able to get as much vacuum at higher altitudes. 

This website has some info that may be useful.

https://anver.com/vacuum-lifters/atmospheric-pressure/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:22:24 PM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »
I'm not sure re vacuum in these motors as yet but I can say I get pretty consistent 18-20 inHg here in Boulder County (~5500ft above sea level) on the rest of our motors.  It remains to be seen what I'll get when I eventually do a 258cu+4.0HO head swap.
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
Could it be from when it goes from open loop to closed loop once it warms up and there is an issue with the oxygen sensor?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline maroon1872

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »
I'm not sure re vacuum in these motors as yet but I can say I get pretty consistent 18-20 inHg here in Boulder County (~5500ft above sea level) on the rest of our motors.  It remains to be seen what I'll get when I eventually do a 258cu+4.0HO head swap.

I'm actually in Boulder county also, ha! I can certainly answer questions about the head swap, just got her running a few weeks ago and trying to get things sorted for the dreaded advanced emissions test. It's crazy to see that thing on the 4x4 dyno.

I would assume my vac was good (18-20" Hg) before swapping intake mannys because the brakes were wayyyy stronger, too strong. Maybe I have a leaky manifold gasket or bolts too loose, but it doesnt display symptoms of a leak...

Offline maroon1872

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
Could it be from when it goes from open loop to closed loop once it warms up and there is an issue with the oxygen sensor?

Aha. This is exactly what it is, yes thank you for this. O2 sensor is not connected at all. My mid pipe isnt even connected and no sensor port on my headers. Thing sounds mean revving right out of those headers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk