News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 08:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: air blows hot On Max AC  (Read 7764 times)

68AMXGOPAC

Re: air blows hot On Max AC
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
Yes, it sure does look like your shut off valve is missing, flowing full hot water through the heater core at all times.
Quick fix for the summer, ( and my AMX has this because I removed all the heater box stuff ) is to tie those 2 hoses together that come out from the core and bypass the core , it doesn't hurt anything at all, and will solve your issue quickly.You will just need to get it fixed for heat in the winter.That plastic coupling fitting in the one hose looks like someone removed the valve and did a straight shot through the core.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
So drain down your radiator a bit , enough to be able to pull the heater hoses without alot of coolant loss, and maybe those 2 splices they did can be pulled apart seperatly and just be put the 2 ends together useing what you have there.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
Bypassing the heater core is only a small part of getting cold air from your A/C.    The A/C system in the car was designed for R12, and just putting in R134A will not make the system work.  Just putting a can or two of 134A will not make the system blow cold.  You will need to replace the receiver/drier (134A will attack the bag holding the desiccant in the drier), flush out the evaporator, condenser, & hoses with A/C solvent (sold at most auto parts stores in an aerosol can), and replace the compressor if it is bad.   You will also need to install the proper 134A service fittings and retrofit label.   After all that is done, it would be best to take the car to an A/C shop to have it leak tested, evacuated, and recharged with the proper oil and amount of refrigerant.  If not done properly, you will be spending a lot of money needlessly, and have a system that will not work properly.  Even if you have a source for R12, it is best to make sure the entire system is working correctly (compressor working, no leaks etc) before charging it.   
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
ahhhh , my bad. I missed the part of it, "hot on max ac" . didn't have me coffee yet with that reply : ) .

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
No Problem thanks a lot guys glad ya spoke up !!! Gives me a good Idea where to start :)
Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk