News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: now the fuel gauge  (Read 5292 times)

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
now the fuel gauge
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
I figured out for my temp gauge the wire to the sensor wasn't working. now the fuel gauge how do i test it. according to schematics both gauge end up in a pigtail. any openions or advice ?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: now the fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
You could go under the car and pull it off the sender. You should have a look under there as the grounds tend to rust off and cause bad readings, and the hoses are ignored and dry-rot away.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »
You can test to see if it is the gauge or sending unit the same way you test the temp sending unit.  Take the wire off the sending unit, ground it, and the gauge should go to full when you have the ignition in the on position.  If it goes to full, then the gauge is good and there is a problem with the sending unit.  If the gauge doesn't react then its a problem with the gauge or the wiring, and also maybe the sending unit.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
I I wired in a different fuseblock from a concord . I tried to match. i must of done something wrong . The sensor wire for the temp gauge isn't connected somehow so i ran a jumperto the dash, pulled the sensor ran a ground around it n held a lighter under it and it worked. so basically what color wire from the pump is the sensor wire. I will bypass that from the original one on the cluster and see if the gas gauge works. if it does I'm home free.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
From the 1981 wiring diagram, the fuel sending unit should have two wires.  One is black that goes directly to ground.  The other is a tan wire that goes from the sending unit all the way to the instrument cluster (with one intermediate plug with multiple wires, not sure of the location of that, the fuel sending unit uses the tan wire on both sides of the plug).  The wire connects to the instrument cluster in the vertical connector, 3rd wire from the top.

Good luck!
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
I know the tan wire lol. is it supposed to be gused or is it firect to cluster ?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »
I don't think the tan is fused as it is not a power lead, just goes to ground via the sending unit
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
direct to cluster. Sometimes the solder on the pins behind the gauges melts and disconnects (moreso on Jeeps)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
Well I assume the gas gauge works. I watched the cluster with the key on and the gauge bottomed out like a rocket when i sniped the beige. i put it back and the gauge pops to under a quarter.If I push the needle to full it goes back to under a quarter and if I push it to empty it pops up. the way i look at it is if it didn't top out , bottom out or did nothing at all i would say it didn't work. The easy way would go to the gas station and start pumping. gas and look but its kind of half apart and would be an inertesting trip lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk