News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sat too long...  (Read 9979 times)

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
Re: sat too long...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 12:32:11 PM »
Ok i got it.
 You are using the chain, pipe, etc in place of the slide hammer,  you still need the internal puller, right?

There is no axle play so I think I am going to skip doing the axle bearing and just replace the oil seal .
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »
Hello runs.like,
   To replace the axle seal you are still required to pull the hub off the end of the axle, and you will need a hub puller for that. After the hub is off those four bolts with nuts ( visible in your picture ) have to come off, those can sometimes be a bear to remove, use some penatrating oil on those. When ya get those bolts off the brake backing plate will come off, the seal is behind that, and there could also be shims that will have go back on after you replace the seal. I uasally push some fresh grease into the bearing before re assembly and I replace the rusty hardware too. When you put the hub back on try to get it to engage the origional spline grooves on the axle .. the nut is torqued to 250 foot pounds. Don't try to drive the car without the proper torque on that nut or the axle could spin in the hub.. which is a bad thing, and could require a new hub. Hope this helps !!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                 Regards, Iron Horse :o

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:39:33 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
Thats the inner seal though, right?  what I want to replace is the outer piece between the backing plate and the hub- that has rusted through hole in the original pic. I thought that was the outer rear oil seal,  Am i confused??
Thanks
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
Hi runs.like, 
      That piece with the rust hole is a dirt shield and it also directs gear oil that leaks out of the seal to run down the backside of the brake plate. When you take that piece off you will see a "V" shape that catches the oil and directs it to a hole in the brake plate .. so oil doesn't get on the brake shoes. The seal is part of  a metal plate behind the brake plate that those four bolts go through, and requires the hub to be removed. Should be able to see it in a breakdown view of the axle. That part with the rust hole will not affect the braking if you wanted to put the shoes back on and drive it. The only thing I can see happening is dirt getting in there and ruining the seal. Maybe you could somehow cover the hole with something  ...  I probably have one of those pieces I could send you, so you'll have it when you get around to replacing the seal.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:41:35 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
IRON HORSE this is exactly the info is what I was needing.  I am going to do the brake and drive the thing for now.  Eventually I should probably try to fix it though. and do the seals when I am at it.  Let me know if you have the dirt shield you'd like to sell me as I can;t seem to find one of those online.

Thanks for the good info I really appreciate it.
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
  Hi,  I just need an address to send it,  I don't need any money .. if you want to use the Den email system that will be more private .. Iron Horse :o

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Those plates have a seal built into them and are available new still. I use a large washer to hook behind the bearing race and pull it out. Unless it's spun (it doesn't appear yours is) it should come out pretty easy. Barely more than a finger pressed in fit. Just tug it around the inner circumference in different spots each try so it comes out straight.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:26:25 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
Hello runs.like,
      I will be sending that part out tomorrow (Sat) .. it was rusty and had to repair.    FYI:  I found a near replacement .. dust shield for AMC 20 rear - part number 3184573. It has the exact same dimensions, BUT you've got to re-drill the holes since this part is for a Jeep not an Eagle. I bought one as a "test case" this week and it works after drilling the holes in the right place .. could use the one I'm sending as a template. I will send you info of where I bought the part, or you can google " dust shield 3184573 " .. the best price I saw was $4.99.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:00:37 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:24 AM »
Those plates have a seal built into them and are available new still.

Hey Carnuck any idea where they can be purchased?? do you have a part #?
thanks
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
NOS 12685 is the NAPA number.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk