News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: window louvers repair  (Read 2046 times)

Offline shredeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
window louvers repair
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
i found a set of plastic window louvers from a spirit amx ,not sure if they are factory or aftermarket. anyway they have some small cracks in them. does anyone know a good way to repair them?

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: window louvers repair
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
 The factory accessory louvers were metal (all three versions). Most plastic louvers are made of ABS, you might try plumbing type ABS glue with some "donor" ABS material to overlap the repair for reinforcement.
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: window louvers repair
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
After you glue them, a good vinyl rejuvenation product, something a little stronger than Armor-All should be used. Over time some of the chemicals evaporate out or are degraded making plastics brittle, and you want to add as much as possible back. I don't know what's the best product, I've just been trying things.

I have been painting old plastics to stabilize them. I wash them in hot soapy water then wipe the surface with alcohol to remove oils. I put on a good plastic primer then an appropriate paint. That seems to really help prevent future damage, and it hides repairs.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk