News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)  (Read 33843 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
If I could give any advice from my sedan struggles I say the first thing you should do is the ECM Test bypass and run a motorcraft 2100/2150.

I had my problems with that motorcraft as well but you are going to be pulling your hair out and spending a lot of time and labor costs going in circles trying to get all that old emission stuff back in working order. And if you are waiting on others for help in that area then even more of a reason to dig in yourself and do the bypass. Its pretty easy to do and lots of info on how to do it. Once you do that you will have more confidence to start digging into other stuff.

I could be wrong, and not considering what state you live in and the laws but simplify that mess under the hood would be my number one.

It will be both a upgrade and a step towards getting the thing on its way to being reliable. If the problem is the vacuum mess then get rid of it. If the carb is giving you issues get rid of it. I know its not the cheapest methodology but its a sure way.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately my county is under the emissions blanket, so I'll more than likely have to keep what I have. I've read stories of emissions shops around here straight refusing you if you have an aftermarket carb without the vacuum lines here. I am going to be getting a carb rebuild kit as they are really cheap and I'll probably want to take the carb apart anyway to make sure there's no issues. I went to open up the idle bleed tubes on it yesterday and found it had already been done. This car has never left CO and it's last registration was 2012, it could be that it never had to deal with emissions but the re-built exhaust gives me hope that it was at least passing as of 2012.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
I live in Colorado also, in an area with emissions testing.  Along with the tailpipe sniffer, they also do a visual inspection.  I can't say that they always know what they are looking for, but I do believe they have diagrams or pictures of what to look for, and if the original emissions equipment is missing, they will fail you, regardless of the actual emissions. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
Okay, so I tore the carb apart. I'm 90% now that the stepper motor is bad. The rest seems pretty beautiful to me.
Are these supposed to be different?

On a side note I found the ringing noise I kept hearing in the back...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:31:58 PM by Murdoc1905 »

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »
I should have read a little earlier in the thread I’m sure emissions were mentioned, my bad.

Curious for states with emissions if you did a whole engine / driveline swap from a newer Jeep do they nail you for that ?

Offline derf

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
    • My Gear Ratio Calculator
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
I should have read a little earlier in the thread I’m sure emissions were mentioned, my bad.

Curious for states with emissions if you did a whole engine / driveline swap from a newer Jeep do they nail you for that ?

Depends on the state.  Some states are easier than others.

There are rules for swapping in engines from newer vehicles.  Generally, you have to take all of the emissions stuff off the donor and keep it with the engine in the older vehicle.  So, for example, a 4.0 would have to have the factory fuel injection with the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, etc.  You can re-route the exhaust to make it fit but all of the pieces would have to be there and working.

In states like California, they're more focused on keeping it stock than what comes out of the tail pipe so its harder to get a swap approved.  Other states care more about what comes out of the tail pipe and are fine with most of what you do as long as it blows cleaner than the factory original.
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/D44HD/D60FF
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/D44/D44
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4 spd Atlas/D30/D44

My gear ratio calculator

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
I have emissions here in Oregon and fortunately they only do a visual for a Cat. and then the sniffer
they used to open the hood to hook up a tach but they don't even do that anymore

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »
That metering rod plunger looks extra-gonzo-crusty!   Was it even able to move??   Was there a spring under it like there should be??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
Yeah it's pretty crusty, there was a spring yes and it didn't bind as far as I could feel. I've got some carb cleaner and I'm gonna attack everything while I'm waiting on my rebuild kit. So doing a quick look and finding stepper motors for like $70 refurbished.. Anyone know a place I could get one cheaper? I might try a pick and pull or something
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:31:40 PM by Murdoc1905 »

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »

Looks like she's been thru the mill.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:33:35 PM by Murdoc1905 »

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2018, 11:01:20 PM »
Finally took the cover off. Boy was that fun. In order to get the back bolt off I had to put the socket on the nut and wiggle it for about 15 min to get the crud out from around the bolt, then try to put the universal joint onto the socket then put the extension on that. It wouldn't fit any other way. The metal lines that run along the firewall only allowed me to put the thinnest walled crappiest socket on it. All others wouldn't fit between the cover and the lines. Once it finally got it pried up it looks like this wasn't the first time (kinda already knew that because of the all Rtv gasket)

With the ac line running directly across the cover it took another 10 min just to wrestle the cover off. I can't imagine how fun it will be to do it again with rtv everywhere.

I'd love to say I'll get an aftermarket cover but I don't have the money for that currently. I'll see how bad this cover is, but from the looks it just seems like oil ate thru the rtv.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »
hi, make sure you get the good gasket, Felpro #VS50244R, about $37.  don'get a cheap one!  A good gasket is better than just silicone. good luck, gz

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
I found that gasket at rockauto for $20 are there different versions of that part number? All the other places I can get it from are like $45. Amazon won't ship it to my address for some reason.

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Searching this site for 'valve cover removal' will reveal many tales of misery concerning that back bolt, mine included.  You probably already figured this out, but removing the wiper motor also helps a bit.  I replaced the original bolt with an Allen key-cap bolt to make it easier to remove (and replace) next time.

I will also say that the PITA aspect of that bolt also makes a compelling case for replacing the valve cover now, rather than later, just so you don't have to screw with it again.  I'm just sayin'...

I saw some chrome-plated steel ones in the low $40's on Ebay.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
I will never understand the problem with that rear bolt. It honestly takes me a minute or less. None of mine had ac in the way so i know nothing of that misery. They should of had that, but i gave up on that and removed it.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk