News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: must have been bragging to Much :(  (Read 3563 times)

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
must have been bragging to Much :(
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
everything was going great ! Parked her for the weekend . Put a new air filter on her now she just will not start . Turns over fine , getting fuel through the filter, carb . just not firing at all . I'm sure its something simple but just not getting there . Any ideas ? And thanks for all the help so far :)
Jim

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: must have been bragging to Much :(
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Is it getting any spark?  do you have an old coil/EIM, or any other ignition parts?  That happened to me. 

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
Check the wiring to the coil.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
Yep getting spark and all that. it will all be getting replaced as budget allows. Ok Here it is . I also connected this hose to where it appears to go. It is outlined in the picture . what is it and what does it do?
I hooked it up car wont start . un hook it and it starts right up . I have no idea what this means . It goes down under the car towards the transmission .
Thanks again guys . your the greatest
Jim

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »
You replaced the airfilter? Did you move the housing?
You might want to check if the vacuum hose to the airdoor is still connected?
It is on the bottom side of the airfilter housing.
When disconnected it causes a big vacuum leak.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Looks to me like the hose is part of the pulse air system that goes from the air cleaner down to the catalytic converter with the air control valve disconnected. The only reason I can think of for the engine not starting when it is connected and starting when it is not is that the exhaust is plugged and the exhaust is coming up through the hose???? It doesn't seem likely but it could happen. It's more likely that you are bumping a wire or connection that is bad and reconnecting it or disconnecting it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:13:26 PM by Eagleearl »

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
Jurjen , Just checked all hoses still attached, Cant hear a vac. leak anywhere. I would really love to get rid of all that stuff and will as I can afford it . Thanks for the input.
 Eagleearl, still not sure what it is :) but when you put your thump over the T where it should go when its running there is a bit of air blowing out, Normal ? Also there are no wires anywhere near that I could be hitting. But will have to take a closer look to make sure . Thanks for your input.
 Folks you don't know how much the input is appercated but I thank your all. :)
Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk