News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 09:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1981 Eagle too much for a first car?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Geordilini

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
1981 Eagle too much for a first car?
« on: June 09, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »
Hello eaglesden,
My late uncle used to own a eagle wagon and I've always appreciated the car for its 4x4 and very unique look. Keeping my eye out for a while now, ive found an '81 sedan with very prime specs.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/81-amc-eagle-4x4/592583495
It's odo is stuck at 50,000km so i figured a cylinder compression test would find the current state of the engine. Anyone on here familiar with the compression ratios? I havent found any.

Anything I should be looking out for with this car? Im worried about being buried in mechanic bills although i plan on doing everything myself. I know about the plastic/aluminim engine cap or something and the rust problem with these cars, but the owner says the driveshaft is clean and theres just some surface rust.

Thanks eagle fam

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: 1981 Eagle too much for a first car?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 03:34:04 PM »
These cars can rust out badly on the underside if not cared for, especially in places where salt is used on the road during winter. Really look at every square inch under there to make sure there is no portion rusting out. If it is surface rust that can be cleaned up. Overall make sure that the underside, body, and interior are in good shape. Low miles would be just the cherry on top.

The plastic rocker arm covers on Eagles do leek oil, quite badly in some cases. An aluminum cover is what I have. You could also get an original metal cover, but those are hard to find and I think were only available for one year.

From how it looks in the pictures, the price seems to be worth it, but if it is too badly rusted underneath it would make it more or less a parts car. If the overall condition is not worth the price, try bringing the price down a bit.

As a fist car, as long as you know how to properly take care of it and maintain it; These make great first cars. My 1986 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon is my first car (also first antique car). After a good amount of mechanical work has been done by us, it has been getting me to and from community college with no problem.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Horse

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
Make sure to ask the owner about the wheel bearings, especially the front. There's usually not a good way to check them when purchasing but every "new" Eagle I've had has needed them within the first year.
Only you truly know your Eagle.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
Interesting set up withe winch
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 02:11:34 AM »
It doesn't matter. If you really care about the car you're going to be pulling the whole thing apart like I'm trying to do. Get some practice on the ones in the junkyards if you think you might screw up. That's what I do every other weekend and I'm only 95% familiar with the car. Everything under the dash and the wires that follow sections of the roof are all that I haven't touched. My tired 258 had a compression of 150-151 in every cylinder when I first bought my Eagle around 159K. I put 20K on it before it finally blew up. Don't bother finding parts for it. Just start updating it. You're lucky you have the best front differential for this MPV. Good luck.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
It's gone so hopefully he got it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk