News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 10:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hello. need help  (Read 1962 times)

Offline the_dirty_bird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
hello. need help
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
Hello. I have been searching the forums for a link to a front axle shifter cable. However I have been unsuccessful.  Would anyone have a link to purchase one?
84 wagon. aka.....the dirty bird

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: hello. need help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:55:01 PM »
Their isn't a shifter cable.  The front axle locks are vacuum actuated
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline the_dirty_bird

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
I know that. I have read on several different occasions that there is an aftermarket cable mod available? Is this not possible?
84 wagon. aka.....the dirty bird

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »
There have been some posts about using a cable to shift the transfer case.  I can't remember if someone actually did it, or was just contemplating it.  If you went that route you would also have to permanently lock the front axles, which is a pretty easy process.

If you permanently lock the front axles, you could use something like bailing wire to lock the transfer case into 4WD.  CaptSpillane has done that with his Eagles.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
There is a homegrown mod to do it using a PTO cable or buying an XJ Posilok front axle kit. Since the Eagle axle center section doesn't move like other vehicles (IFS) it's a piece of cake to set up.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk