News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 06:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrical Gremlins  (Read 9041 times)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Electrical Gremlins
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
I believe the wire in question (red wire with tracer) is the resistor wire for the ignition.  That might explain why it gets hot.  When the starter is engaged, the solenoid puts a full 12v to the ignition (via green? wire).  If you do an ignition upgrade (big cap), you can delete the resistor wire from the system and just use +12v from the IM (yellow wire).  The coil would need to be changed to 3 ohm.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Rollguy, I'm not sure I'm following you.  I did the big cap upgrade years ago, and the yellow wire that is on the same post as the red w/ tracer is the one that got cut as part of that upgrade.  The red w/tr is labeled as the resistor wire and hooks onto a yellow wire that goes to the actual ignition switch.  What is the purpose of the resistor wire?  Are you saying that because I did the big cap upgrade I may not even need it?  Thanks again.

If you replaced the coil with a 3ohm coil (like the petronix one), then the resistor wire isn't needed and gets bypassed.  If you are using a lower resistance, 1.4ohm, coil, then the resistor wire is still needed so that the ICM doesn't get burned out.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »

If you replaced the coil with a 3ohm coil (like the petronix one), then the resistor wire isn't needed and gets bypassed.  If you are using a lower resistance, 1.4ohm, coil, then the resistor wire is still needed so that the ICM doesn't get burned out.
Exactly.  The yellow wire provides power for the IM, and your new coil (3 ohm).  The resistor wire can be abandoned.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

Also, with your eagle being an '81, it shouldn't have an idle speed control module (unless its a California car).

It definitely has the idle speed control, but not a CA car.  Its an original CO car, set up for high altitude - maybe that's why it has the idle speed control module??

All 81 Eagle's had the idle speed control. It was the California models that got the feedback carburetor as well though.

I guess I just haven't looked under my hood recently.  I was basing that statement on the wiring diagrams I have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk