News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 12:12:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trailer wiring harness  (Read 3466 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Trailer wiring harness
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
I am the proud new owner of an 87 Wagon with the factory tow package (or so i'm told).  The only trailer wiring I can find is in the back under the floor where the spare is, but it's not a standard trailer plug.  The harness has a Coleman Products part# tag on it, and the plug on the harness is a 5 prong, but larger than any of the flat trailer harnesses i've ever seen.  Anybody know if there's some sort of adapter readily available to adapt this to a standard flat 4 trailer plug?  I could easily cut the existing plug off and splice a new one in, but I don't like cutting into wiring harnesses if I don't have to, that way if I want it put back to original I can just unplug the adapter.

Thanks,

Greg.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
Re: Trailer wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I think there are adapters for that.  Parts houses may have them.  I would think that U-Haul would, too.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
I'd try tractor supply, they have tons of trailer adaptors
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
I'll try tractor supply before I make the final decision, but I went to a trailer place today and they didn't have any connectors that matched what's on the Eagle.  The plug on it is about half an inch longer than a standard flat-5 plug, other than the size they're identical.  I'm thinking it's got to be some long-forgotten plug from the 80's that never caught on.  If I don't see something at TSC that matches up i'll just splice a standard flat 4 into the existing harness.  Thanks for the input guys.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
A complication you can run into is the separate circuit for brakes and tail lights.
There are adapters for that, too.
I didn't use one - I installed separate lights on the trailer and ran wires to it for brakes.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
I don't think that'll be an issue since this is actually factory trailer wiring (allegedly).  I put a meter to it and the outputs all seem to be the way they should for a flat 4, there's just the additional pin which is for the reverse brake override on a trailer with a tongue activated brake system.  That 5th pin will probably be no use to me, for one, i've only seen that type of brake system on boat trailers.  And additionally if I have to tow anything big enough to warrant trailer brakes, i'll just use my GMC instead of running the poor Eagle into the ground.

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »
I am trying to wire in a 7 pin plug for my tent trailer.  I can get the tail lights to work, but not the brake lights.  Does anyone have a 7 pin set up working??  How did you get the brake lights to work with it short of addig separate lights????

Thanks!
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
7 pin should be easier to wire up than a 4 pin, since the brake lights are separate on a 7 pin and no need for a converter. I would double check your wiring, especially the ground. Whenever I have a light problem on a trailer it is 99% of the time a ground issue. I now run a ground wire from both lights all the way to the front of the trailer where I install the ground from the pigtail.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline projectscreamingeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
I think there are adapters for that.  Parts houses may have them.  I would think that U-Haul would, too.

hey thats whare i work!

ive looked it up before but i don remember  ::) but there is a couple options here (id have to check part numbers to make sure its compatible with the eagle) uhaul part number 13488 its a standard 4 flat (left turn, right turn, park lamps, ground) easy peasy. vehicles whare the turn signals run through stop lamps. the part is only like 8 or 9 bucks. another option (again id have to check part numbers to make sure its compatible for the eagle) uhaul part number 13486, yes its the converter box but it is just as east to wire up as the 13488 with the addition of 1 more wire for the brake lamps. flat rate calls for about half hour they can be done in 15 minutes. i think that one is like 20 or 30 bucks. from there if you have a 7 way on your trailer there is a adapter that converts the 4 flat to a 7 way. it has your 4 basics plus 3 more that are lose on the outside for the ease of hooking up a brake controller. both come with nessary pieces (scotch locks and a self tapping screw for the ground) i dont remember the part number off hand or the price ill have to get back to you on that one. if you stop in just have them run it through CSF and if they give you a hard time tell them to call jake at center 724071. i will be there for a bit tomarrow, wednsday afternoon and then all weekend  ;D
with his claws bearing the screaming eagle will prevale
im not buyist i own an AMC
'is that suppose to go there' - class mate 'I don know... we'll find out' -me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk