News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carburetor, what to use?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline dowditjr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Carburetor, what to use?
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
So I have 2 options to replace the carter Carb on my eagle, i have a 650 edelbrock or a 750 holley. Do you guys think both of these would be overkill for the 258? lol If so I'll just get a smaller one down the road to put on there.
1990 PONTIAC 6000 LE WAGON- DECEASED :'(
1985 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON
1986 CHEVY K10 SCOTTSDALE
1992 CHRYSLER LEBARON
1995 CHEVY CAMARO

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Carburetor, what to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
I think both would be overkill.  I have a 390 cfm Holley on my 258 and it works very well, really snappy acceleration, idles super smooth and good gas mileage.  Even that is more cfm than a 258 needs.  When I first put it on I couldn't get the idle below 750 rpm, I had to take it off and loosen the idle screw on the secondary throttle plate, it was idling on that alone at first.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:27:25 PM by priya »

Offline dowditjr

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
:censored: hate have extra parts and nothing to use them on lol i thought id be too much ;D
1990 PONTIAC 6000 LE WAGON- DECEASED :'(
1985 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON
1986 CHEVY K10 SCOTTSDALE
1992 CHRYSLER LEBARON
1995 CHEVY CAMARO

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:32:07 AM »
The 650 Edelbrock can be down jetted to work with the 258. Works even better if you cam it (I put a Baja Beast cam in) In fact, I still have the whole jet/needle kit in my parts for sale collection (I found it AFTER I bought another).
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk