News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Choke pull-off  (Read 2087 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Choke pull-off
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
Alrighty, I'm back at trying to get things under this hood put back to the way they're supposed to be, primarily reconnecting all the stuff that's been disconnected.  Today's focus is the choke pull-off.  It's there, and it seems to work good, except I don't know which vacuum source is the one I need to run it off of.  The only port I could see that was capped off was coming off the back of the carb, but when I used that for the pull off, it immediately pulled it all the way open and rendered my choke useless and the car wouldn't run when cold.  I didn't see an adjustment, so I am led to believe that there's a different source that would operate the pull-off less aggressively.  Thanks!
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Choke pull-off
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
Sounds like you have the correct vacuum port.   Its supposed to have vacuum all the time.   However, the choke linkage needs to be adjusted correctly so it'll work as its supposed to.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:12 AM »
There should be a small bolt or nut looking thing on the back of the choke pull off.  If you turn it one way or another, it increases the amount of pull on the choke.  I had one on my Carter carb and I have one on my MC2150.  I have mine adjusted so it is all the way off (meaning no pull).  I live an a fairly warm climate year round on the west coast of Canada.  Adjusting it is pretty much a process of turn some and see what happens.  Then when the engine is cold turn some more.  I forget which direction to turn the adjuster for more or less pull, though.  I believe it is in the manual though.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
The choke pull off should be adjusted to 1/8" to 5/32" when the engine starts and creates vacuum. This is to let in air so the engine can run. The electric choke then slowly opens the choke as the engine warms up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk